Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Alexander had done it; he had made it in time. Only barely though. Another five seconds and he would have watched helplessly as Lieutenant Baker was gored and killed right before his eyes. That was not something he wanted to see though, and before it could happen he reached out with his massive sword and shoved it through the alien beasts head, killing it instantly. A second before that more than forty mini-missiles hit strategic points in the UNE horde, killing hundreds in the blink of an eye and freeing the others from being overrun. For now.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" he yelled, trying to get the attention of the other pilots as they just stood there in stunned silence. "Get into formation!"

It took the span of a heartbeat for the shock to fall away and the girls listened to his order, pulling into a tight box formation with Angela stuck in the center, a precautionary move just in case she was too rattled to keep going. Alex took the top of the box, his massive and heavy sword gleaming silver and purple in the sun as wet blood dripped from the tip to the handle. He quickly entered a command prompt he had written into the coding and the Aegis deftly released the hidden compartment with his combat knife in it, pulling it out with a smooth flourish and brandishing it in front of him.

"Weapons check!" he ordered quickly, the main force coming back towards them quicker than he had anticipated.

"I'm out of Cannon shells, but I still have my auto cannons!" Sarah answered first.

"I'm down to half on all weapon loud outs!" Michelle went next.

"I have three hundred more from my machine pistol, then I have to switch over to my swords!" Lisa came after, her voice still a little weird sounding in Alexander's ears.

"I... I'm good..." Angela whispered and he didn't like the sound of her voice. She had been close to death and was still trying to get over the shock. He had seen this a hundred times on the battlefield and it never ended well for everyone.

"Switchblade, I want you to switch places with Aphrodite and cover my left shoulder which is weaker," he ordered and used their call signs, taking into account the fact that she was using two large chain swords compared to his one sword and knife. "Save your ammunition in case we need to make a quick getaway. Aphrodite, Deadeye, I need you to pick off anything that tries to flank us. Do not shoot at their backs or heads, instead go for their unprotected feet and make them topple over. The rest of the horde will finish them off for you. Understood?"

"Roger!" the girls recited instantly, Lisa and Michelle quickly exchanging places without so much as a hiccup.

"Angela! Can you read me?" he then asked, hoping she was lucid enough to not be a hindrance.

"Y... yes."

"I have a very important job for you. Do you think you can handle it? Because if not I can get one of the others to do it."

Alexander knew he wasn't being fair in saying that, but right now he didn't have any other choice. He needed to appeal to the girls ego and get her back in the fight or things were going to get a whole lot worse than they already were. He just hoped she had even a sliver of her normal ego left.