Rule #10: You Can't Hide Forever

Rob and Dan called a few times over the next two weeks but I declined every offer. I didn’t want to risk seeing Jason again. Not in the next year at least. Or the next ten – that should be about enough time for the utter shame to pass.

Instead, I focused on Brandon. As usual, he was working a lot but I found my gaps. We mostly stayed home - having dinner, watching movies or just cuddling on the couch. It wasn’t as fun as a trip or going to a bar but it was cosy. And nice.

Brandon was the most kind-hearted person I knew. Sometimes, he would offer to take over cooking when he got home, even though he was deadly tired. He would ask me about my day first and spare me with details about his, knowing how sleepy those made me. He was so loving and caring. He didn’t deserve me fantasizing about anyone else. Not even - no! His name was not allowed in my thoughts.

The guilt was starting to dissolve by the end of the second week and I was starting to think, I could maybe put it all behind me. Then one afternoon Rob called.

“Nikki!”

“Hey, Rob. What’s up?” I held the phone to my ear, installing myself on the couch.

“What’s up is I haven’t seen you in two weeks,” Rob scolded. “Dan and I were worried you might have fallen into a black hole.”

“I know. I’ve been busy.” I bit my lip, a little guilty about lying to him.

“You know you’ll have to make it up to us, right?” Dan’s voice sounded determined. And sort of loud. Apparently, I was on speaker, talking to both of them.

“I will, I promise.”

“Great.” It was Rob again. “Thursday, 5 a.m.  - be ready! We’ll be picking you up.”

“Picking me up? To go where?”

“To the Cape. We’re going to the seaside, baby!” He whooped excitedly.

“We are?”

“Don’t forget to pack a swimming suit!” Dan reminded.

“Wait. Did you, guys, call to ask or to tell me?” I questioned.

“To tell you,” they said in unison.

I had to admit, it was a tempting offer. But there was no way I was going on another trip with he-who-shall-not-be-named. Not after the way I acted the last time I saw him.

“I can’t.”

“No, no. We’re not taking no for an answer. I’ll personally drag you out of the apartment if I have to,” Rob threatened.

I didn’t say anything. I needed some time to think of a way to get out of this.

“Come on, it will be fun,” Rob took advantage of my silence. “It’s almost the end of summer. We won’t be able to go on another trip like that for nine months. That’s nine whole months!” I still hadn’t figured out an excuse when he added, “And I need your pretty face in the rear-view, I’ll be sick of only looking at Dan for three hours.”

“Bro, is that the best argument you got? You couldn’t just say…” Dan argued on the other end but I wasn’t listening. My brain was already making the connection.

“It’s just the two of you?”

Ignoring Dan and as if sensing what my real question was, Rob answered, “Yep. Jason’s busy and we’re meeting the girls there.”

I went silent for another moment. Rob had a point. It was almost the end of those sunny days and I’d been staying home for what felt like forever – two weeks without going out during the summer were forever. I could really use some more adventurous type of entertainment.