Rule #33: Things Have a Way of Working Out When You Least Expect It

Everything was ready. The paperwork was all done and the lady at the admissions desk smiled at me as I turned to the exit.

If I wasn't looking back at her when I pulled the door open, I probably wouldn't have bumped into someone on my way out. We collided just as I stepped outside, my study plan, the list of needed supplies and all the other sheets of paper the admissions desk lady had just given me scattered to the floor.

I didn't even look at the person as I hastily crouched down to gather all the sheets. I was pretty bent on having a quiet, undisturbed year so I wasn't starting it with losing important documents. No, I didn't look up, until I heard the voice that said, 'I'm sorry.'

How could I mistake that voice?

My eyes darted to the guy who was crouching down to help me. It had been one year since I had last seen that face - that night at Rob and Dan's party. Since then, a lot had changed in my life.

'Nikki...' Jason uttered, clearly as shocked as I was by this unforeseen encounter.

A second passed with us crouching down, staring at each other before any of us had any other reaction.

'What are you doing here?' we both asked at the same time.

If his expression wasn't so utterly surprised I would have maybe thought, just maybe, that he had come here to find me. He could have easily asked Rob or Dan where I was. Well, Dan. Rob wouldn't have told him. Despite all, I knew they still hung out together. Not that we talked about him, they knew better than to ask questions or mention his name at all, but it wasn't hard to guess when I would sometimes ask where they were or who they were with over the phone and the conversation would become awkward and they would quickly come up with some excuse to hang up. So yeah, he could have asked Dan. But why would he?

Why would he be looking for me? We couldn't have left things worse. And he still looked like he had just seen a ghost.

Jason regained himself first. He handed me a sheet of paper he had collected from the floor for me and stood up. I mirrored his action mechanically.

'I'm here to take my study plan,' he explained like it was the most natural thing in the world and I still just looked at him. 'I had no idea you switched schools,' he uttered, sadly sounding too sincere. Not that I had expected or even hoped for anything else and if I was disappointed it was only because, well, I sometimes liked to think the world revolved around me.

'Yeah, I, um...' Gosh, what were the odds? Of all the universities in the world. I had moved a few hundred miles away from home to enrol myself in the best program in this sphere of education and who did I run into? Of all the people in the world. 'I'm sorry, I just... This is such a weird coincidence. I can't believe I'm really seeing you here.'

'You can pinch me if you think I'm a mirage,' he smirked and it was like I had travelled back in time. Give it to Jason to snap me out of the shock with a cocky remark. I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled.

'It's good to see you, too,' he said when his laugh died and we went back to staring at each other in silence.

'So... You. Here,' I kind of uttered some words to break it. I was starting to feel self-conscious under his gaze.

Despite my lack of verbal abilities at the moment, Jason understood the question. 'Yeah, I thought it was time for a fresh start. I just moved here a few days ago and apparently, you need a certificate to become a professional swimming instructor in this state so I'm taking a few courses.'