Rule #31: Beware of Punches

I was knocking on the door, waiting for someone to hear me over the blaring music. Soon enough it flew open and Rob grinned on the other side.

'You came!'

'How could I say no,' I said sarcastically.

Rob grinned and made space for me to enter and shut the door behind me. 'Come, I'll get you something to drink.'

It was two weeks after Brandon had surprised the hell out of me with his proposal. Rob had called to invite me to a before-semester-starts party at his and Dan's place, after asking me to all sorts of events from movie nights to club hangouts during the past thirteen days, all of which I had decided to skip. Of course, I had no intention of attending this party either, knowing there's a not-so-slight chance I might bump into you-know-who, but Rob had made it perfectly clear that if I didn't, he'd come to my apartment and personally drag my ass over. So I decided to make a quick appearance just to get him off my back.

'Nikki!' the lively voice sounded in my ear from behind just as a couple palms landed on my shoulders. 'So you're not abducted by aliens after all.'

'Good to see you, too, Dan.' I turned to hug him.

'Where have you...' his question was interrupted by something that hit him in the head. 'Ouch!' He rubbed the place. 'Excuse me. Got to show those amateurs how to play beer pong.' He started in the direction where the ping pong had come from and yelled over his shoulder. 'I'll be right back. Nikki, don't leave!' A second later he was standing beside a table, armed with a white ball and aiming for a cup full of beer on the opposite end.

'You've been MIA.' Rob's scolding turned my attention back to him. He was pouring some liquid into a tall glass. I didn't really care what kind of high-alcoholic cocktail he'd mix for me, I wasn't even going to drink it. I was going to be out of here soon enough. I stripped off my jacked and laid it on the stool beside me. We were in their kitchen space, which wasn't too big but it seemed to have everything necessary. Like a fridge for all the drinks and a microwave for all the frozen food. This was a boys' place after all. 'What's been going on with you?' Rob asked.

'Nothing much, really,' I said vaguely. 'I've been busy. With Brandon and stuff.'

'Ooh. Busy with Brandon.' Rob wriggled his eyebrows as he handed me my drink and I nearly slapped it out of his hand.

'Shut up,' He made a motion with his hands for me to follow him in the living room, where the epicentre of the party was. 'It's not like...' I turned to follow and stopped dead. Jason was standing a few feet away. With Dayan. '... that,' I finished but I was sure Rob hadn't heard it because I had murmured it to myself.

It wasn't a shock to see Jason here, honestly. I had prepared myself mentally for exchanging polite hey-nice-to-see-yous and then exit the conversation with the speed of a jet-fighter. But I hadn't prepared myself for seeing him with Dayan. Not that that had to surprise me.

'Nicole. I didn't know you were coming,' Jason said, clearly just as taken aback as I was, though he was better at covering it.

'Ditto,' I responded automatically not able to shift my eyes from his for a while but I quickly recollected and looked to the person standing next to him, who was giving me a weird look. 'Hey, Dayan, how are you?' I gave her a fake-smile.

'Good,' she smiled back and I could tell it was just as fake, 'You?'

'Fine. Will you excuse me?' I uttered. I left the drink on the counter and paced to the balcony as quickly as possible.

Who was I kidding? I was so not ready for this. It was beyond awkward but that wasn't the worst part. It sucked to see Jason with Dayan. Gosh, I was totally jealous! And it was ridiculous. Of course she would be here with him. She was his girlfriend. Not me. I had no right to. Damn Nicole, why did you let yourself fall into that mess?