Chapter 9 - The New Girl

Chapter 9

Ron sat alone in the Gryffindor common room, alone, hurt and upset. He had always loved Hermione but he had made one mistake and it was ruined. There was nothing he could do. He hadn't exactly been nice to her and knew that she would never take him back. Especially now that she was with Viktor Krum, 'Euurgh!' Ron thought to himself. He hated the guy who had once been his idol.

Ron had barely talked to anyone over the last few weeks, not even Harry. He would eat alone and then after lessons had finished he would sit at the same seat by the window of the common room, gazing out into the distance. Alone. Until one day. Ron was sat at the table trying to get his head around the Potion's essay that Snape had set for the class when he felt someone standing over him.

'Is anyone sat here?' The voice asked. Ron shook his head and the girl sat down. She had long brown curly hair and Ron recognised her as she was in a lot of his classes.

'Hi, I'm Lavender.' She said smiling at him.

'Yeah I know,' Ron replied seeing the smile spread even wider across her face.

'Wow, I didn't know you even knew who I was.' She looked very surprised.

'Haha, yeah I know you,' Ron laughed.

'Do you maybe wanna go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend?' She asked him.

'Yeah I don't see why not.' Ron replied, he smiled back at her as she ran off looking very excited. She was pretty thought Ron to himself and she seemed lovely. For the first time in weeks Ron felt happy again. He cleared up his books doing his best to avoid eye contact with Harry, Ginny and ... Hermione. Maybe Lavender would help Ron get over her. He would have to try.

The week dragged on very slowly but eventually the weekend arrived as Ron made his way down to breakfast although this time he didn't sit alone.

He sat hand in hand with Lavender all the way through breakfast as they talked and laughed. She had her head resting on his shoulder and every now and then he would kiss her. Over the past week they had become really close and Ron had thought about little else. He had heard lots of people gossiping spreading rumours about him and Lavender, but worst of all, about what had happened between him and Hermione. Ron didn't care though.

Hermione on the other hand did. She regretted everything she had said to Ron and just wished that it was her hand in his, that morning as they sat at the Gryffindor table.

She hadn't talked to Ron in so long and missed his voice, his laugh, his smile, everything about him. And now he didn't care about her at all. 'Well' she thought to herself, how can I make him feel as bad as she felt. An idea forming in her head and she knew exactly what to do.

Ron and Lavender had had enough of Hogsmeade as they headed towards the Three Broomsticks for a drink. They sat down laughing and talking not paying attention of anyone around them.

They stopped talking as Ron took a sip of his drink. He heard the bell and looked up.

His mouth falling wide open at what he saw in front of him.

There Hermione stood hand in hand with him.

Ron just didn't know what to say, he sat and stared at them as they sat down at the table next to him and Lavender.

He could her laughing at something he said, and Ron felt crushed. Jealous of the boy sat with her.

Jealous of Draco Malfoy.