Chapter 4 - The Declined Invitation

Chapter 4

It had been almost two months since the day of Hogsmeade with Harry and Ginny. It was nearing Christmas and as the Yule Ball had been such a success last year, it had been announced that there would be another this year. Although it was obvious that Hermione would be going with Ron, she was still waiting for him to ask her, and Ginny waiting for Harry to ask her.

'Morning beautiful,' Ron said to Hermione, stroking the hair out of her face and kissing her.

'I love you,' Hermione replied, leaning her head against Ron's chest.

'Excited for the Yule Ball?' Hermione asked Ron as they both started eating there breakfast.

'Yeah, can't wait to dance,' Ron rolled his eyes. Hermione laughed. She knew how much Ron hated dancing, but at least he had got some new dress robes, not the ones he had worn last year. 'At least I get to dance with you,'

'Who said I was going to go with you?' Hermione said jokily.

'Well you're my girlfriend so I just sort of guessed,' Ron looked very confused, 'Why have you said that you'll go with someone else?'

'Not yet, but maybe you should ask me before somebody else does,' Hermione laughed tossing back her hair, picking up her bags and walking out of the Great Hall.

'Can you believe her?' Ron sighed turning to Harry.

'Since when did you have to ask your girlfriend to the ball?' Harry looked just as confused as Ron. 'Do you think Ginny expects me to ask her as well?'

'Yes she does,' Harry turned and saw Ginny smiling at him. She walked off following Hermione out of the Great Hall.

'What's gotten into the pair of them?' Ron asked Harry.

'What if we ask them and they say no?' Harry suddenly looked very nervous.

'I guess we'll have to ask them tonight.' Ron said packing up his things.

'Yeah may as well,' Harry replied and the two of them headed off for their first lesson that morning.

History of Magic had never been anyone's favourite class, as their Professor was a very dull ghost, who liked to blab on while the class took notes.

At least it gave Ron a chance to talk to Hermione about the ball. He took a piece of parchment and a quill and wrote:

Hermione, do you want to go to the ball with me?

Ron x

He used his wand to float the note across the room to Hermione's desk and watched as she opened the note, read it, wrote a reply and then sent it back across to Ron. He opened it.

You'll have to do better than that

Hermione x

Ron turned to Harry who was sat directly behind him, and passed him the note.

'Seriously?' Harry questioned the note turning to look at Hermione who just smiled at the two of them. 'What do she expect you to do?'

'Probably write it in the stars or something? I don't know.' Ron and Harry both laughed at this. 'Who else is she gonna go with then if she says no to me?'

'You might wanna hurry up and ask her before you find out.'

With that the bell went and Harry, Ron and Hermione left the classroom together.

'Come on Hermione just go to the ball with me?' Ron begged, putting his arms around Hermione's waist and pulling her towards him.

'No,' she laughed kissing him 'Maybe try that star thing though.'

And with that, she walked off leaving the two boys staring after her.

'Bloody hell,' Ron said, as they walked off towards the Gryffindor common room, discussing ways in which they would be able to enchant the stars.