Chapter six

(Sterling POV)

“I don’t know if this is genius or madness,”

Jones, in full uniform, shoots me a hard glare before going back to checking out his hair in the rearview mirror. We just got off from a heavy shift and here I was stuck in some random fucking Starbucks parking lot.

When Jones said he needed to make a quick stop on the way back to the station, it didn’t even cross my mind that it would be at this shit hole. I feared that if we stayed too long, we might be murdered by a coffee crazed white hipster wanna be.

Basically I was going to kill Jones.

“Shut the hell up man,” Jones says while bringing his fingers through his hair hurriedly.”I looked the girl up and saw she worked here. So what?!”

“So what?”

I remove the flashlight from my belt-sheath and lean back in the drivers seat. “You’re fucked dude, that’s what. Plus it’s just creepy.”

“So that means you don’t want me to tell you what else I found out?”

He turns around in the seat to face me, giving up on the grooming. Did I want to know what the hell Jonest was up to? Fuck no. I wanted to go home, take off my uniform and drown my day away in cheap beer and mildly interesting t.v shows. I didn’t want to deal with Jones and his overly obsessed love interest.

“If it has anything to do with your weird stalking, then no.”

He brings his hand to the doors handle and pops open the door casually. Even though he was acting all nonchalant about the whole thing, I knew he was itching to tell me what he found.

“Okay then. I guess I won’t tell you that I found out that that girl Kayla works here also,”

He shoots me a big, warm smile before hopping out and slamming the door. Cursing under my breath, I push open the door and jump out also.

“What do you mean she works here? Why the hell were you even looking her up!” Jones laughs while at the same time fixing his badge.

“I knew you cared,”

“I really don’t.”
And I didn’t. Sure, the girl was beyond gorgeous and had an energy about her that not even I could match, but my heart was in another person's hands. It didn’t matter how beautiful, wild, or spontaneous Kayla Mays was.

Nothing could have happen between us.

Nothing ever would happen between us.

That didn’t mean I didn’t think about her. Ever since we left Michigan, she has been this constant nuisance on my mind. The way she smiled at all those men, it as intoxicating. She reminded me of a sultry succubus, getting any man she wanted with a mere twirl of her fingers. The way she worked the room, the way she laughed loudly and smiled freely, you could tell that no man at that reception couldn’t not fall prey to her.

And at the end of the night, when she gleefully threw all the numbers she collected on me like confetti, I couldn't help but feel entrapped at how happy she was.

Here this girl was, not a moment ago puking in the bushes and on the verge of tears,  laughing and having the time of her life.

It amazed me how she could go from one emotion to the other so quickly.

For me, it was harder then just switching it off. When my parents died it broke me. I turned into this big ball of emotions.

One minute I’m seven,  sitting in my room, crying my eyes out. The next moment I’m screaming and throwing things at the wall. It took my aunt three years to finally get through to me.