Chapter 18: Delaying Life

So, I finally was able to get this chapter done. I hope it lives up to standards. =P Oh! And new character time! This chapter is dedicated to her lovely creator, missmaris. =)

Hope you all enjoy!

********************************************************************************************************

"I'm looking forward to the future, but my eye-sight is going bad..." –Thanks for the Memories, Fall Out Boy

Audrey and Draco sat at the Slytherin table alone, and never had they felt more so. The rest of the house had yet to be retrieved from the dungeons, and the remaining students had been giving them awful looks. Admittedly, Audrey had never felt so out of place and unwanted in her entire life. Even some of her friends shot her death glares! The girl sighed and rested her head against Draco's shoulder.

Unlike Audrey, Draco hadn't taken any notice to the looks they were receiving. He had sat there, almost motionless as he held his head in his hands, for what seemed like ages. His energy was drained, Audrey could tell. Audrey looked up at him, but frowned as soon as she realized how beat up the both of them really were. Dirt and blood were very apparent on both of their faces. Audrey was certain he had a headache as well. She felt bad for him.

Her thoughts were interrupted when a girl approached her. Audrey had seen her around the school before, but had never spoken to her, so she was honestly miffed as to why the girl was there. The girl sat down across from them, and had a puzzled look on her face.

"Do you guys need any help?" she asked, her blue eyes sparkling with determination.

Audrey looked to Draco before looking back at the girl. "Something cold- ice, a cloth... he hit his head badly a few hours ago."

The girl nodded before she jumped from her seat and ran back over to Madame Pomfrey, who was assisting another student. After a brief conversation and disappearing for a moment, the girl came running back, a damp cloth in her hand. Upon sitting back down at the table, she handed Audrey the damp cloth. Like Audrey requested, it was cold; she was hoping it would reduce the swelling. Audrey carefully placed it on the back of Draco's head, trying not to apply any unnecessary pressure.

"Thanks," Audrey eventually muttered.

"Oh no problem! I figured you guys could use some help," the girl replied. "Do you need anything?"

Audrey shook her head. She felt alright, and any wounds she had were minor. What she really wanted was to figure out who this girl was. She remembered seeing her hang out with Ginny Weasley, but she couldn't remember her name for the life of her. "Excuse me, but what's your name?" she decided to ask.

"Oh, I'm Nicole Gardner," the girl smiled, pushing her brown hair out of her eyes. Audrey's nose scrunched up a bit at the name, but the feeling passed.

"Nice to meet you, I'm-"

"-I know who you are. You're Audrey McCarthy," Nicole interrupted. "You're the crazy Slytherin girl who left and came back, and dates him." She gestured at Draco. "And apparently you had some involvement with the Death Eaters."

Audrey frowned again. How did she manage to tarnish her reputation in such a short time? "Well... I guess kinda sorta..."

Nicole reached across the table and patted Audrey's shoulder. "No worries. I know you two have changed. I saw what he did to Yaxley."

Well, that was reassuring, she thought. Some girl I just met thinks I did nothing wrong. Suppose it's better than nothing.

Once again, Audrey's thoughts were interrupted. "Do you mind if I sit here? I kind of want to give Ginny her space," Nicole asked. "Been a long day for her."

Audrey glanced up at Draco, and then back at Nicole. "Go right ahead. I can't guarantee the other Slytherins will be thrilled about it once they get up here, but you're more than welcome to stay."

Nicole smiled. "Thanks."

Almost as if on cue, the other Slytherins came up from the dungeons, all taking their seats far away from Audrey, Draco, and Nicole. It seemed as if they had somehow known what had happened during the battle. Once they were all seated, McGonagall took her spot where the podium once stood.

She cleared her throat briefly before speaking. "Good evening students. As I'm sure you all know, Voldemort has been defeated." A cheer erupted once again from the students, obviously feeling victorious; McGonagall silenced them with a wave of her hand. "But do not think the war is over. There are still Death Eaters, and I would not be surprised if they came back to seek revenge. So continue to use constant vigilance in the future."

If there was one thing Audrey was certain about, it was that. If she had learned anything from this experience it was that Death Eaters were nuts, and would turn on anyone, even their own friends. She was certain nothing would change now that their leader was dead; if anything, it would be worse!

"Obviously, due to the state of the building, we cannot continue with the remainder of the school year, and you all will be heading home first thing tomorrow morning, unless scheduled otherwise," McGonagall explained. "We will be beginning the rebuilding process as soon as possible, and I predict to have everything back up and running by the time next school year starts."

A loud groan sounded throughout the student body. Mostly from seventh years who were supposed to be graduating in a few weeks. They all wanted to be moving on with their lives, starting bigger and better things by then; surely not continuing their schooling. Audrey was admittedly one of them.

"The Ministry has approved of this, and for the graduating seventh years, you will graduate in October, and the remainder of you will move on to the next year, which will extend an extra month, allowing the next school year to start as scheduled," McGonagall went on. "So do not fret; everything is being taken care of." She paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "And thanks to all of you who helped make this even possible. You are dismissed."

On that note, she stepped away from the podium, and moved back towards the other teachers, all of which were in a deep discussion about one thing or another. As predicted, the students, too, started talking rapidly, mostly about what was just told to them.

"Well isn't this peachy?" Draco finally spoke. It was all too obvious to Audrey he wasn't happy about what they were told. "So much for leaving and never coming back."

Audrey frowned slightly. "It'll be okay. It'll only delay everything by a few months. We'll just have to find something to occupy our time with until school starts back up."

Draco grumbled an unintelligible response. Audrey didn't say anything else on the subject; she knew Draco wasn't in his best of moods. She placed her hand on his back, rubbing it slowly. Audrey just wanted him to feel better. She noticed Nicole still sitting in front of her, even though almost all the other students had gotten up.

"You sure he's okay?" Nicole asked, raising an eyebrow.

Audrey nodded. "Yea, Draco can just be a drama queen sometimes." She kissed his cheek quickly after she made that remark, making up for teasing him.

"I am most certainly not a drama queen," he defended himself.

Before Audrey or Nicole could say anything to that remark, Audrey noticed a few of her friends walking towards her with determined looks upon their faces. She knew she was about to get that talking to Krystie promised.

Audrey sighed. "Speaking of drama, there's about to be a lot of it in about three seconds..."