Chapter 16: Call to Arms

Mmkay, so I'm hoping the next few chapters come a little quicker. I've decided to just type the rest out, since I always seem to forget my notebook at home. I'm thinking there's only about 5 more chapters in this story, but I'm not exactly sure yet. =P But I promise I am writing a sequel, just as to what exactly happens in it I have yet to decide, so if you have some ideas, feel free to share them! =D Enough of my rambling, I hope you enjoy this chapter! =)

Oh, and MrsDButler, I saved Fred like I promised you. =P

***********************************************************************************************************
"It's no one's fault but my own, it's the path I've chosen to go..." –Space Bound, Eminem

An eerie silence echoed over the grounds. Voldemort called off his forces, wanting to meet up with Harry alone. Draco was unsure if Harry had actually gone, nor did he particularly care. He and Audrey walked slowly, hand in hand through the deteriorated hallways of their school. Each had their wands still drawn, not sure if all of the Death Eaters had actually left. Draco knew that Death Eaters did not always obey their master, and he surely didn't want to be ambushed.

Right now, all he wanted was to get them out of the school alive. He knew once they were outside, they could run to freedom. His heart skipped a beat as he saw a glimmer of sunshine, which for a moment caused him to question how long he had been knocked out. Draco shook the feeling and began pulling himself and Audrey towards the daylight.

The duo stepped outside, taking in the surroundings. The once beautiful exterior of Hogwarts lay in complete ruins. The battle had claimed more than just lives; it had claimed the school. If any of them were to survive, it would take ages to rebuild, even with the help of magic. The air around them was silent. Nothing stirred. It was unnerving, that was certain. However, it did not remain that way for long.

"Harry Potter is dead!" a voice Draco knew all too well as that of Voldemort's screamed.

Audrey turned to Draco, giving him the same look he was sure he was giving her. Could Harry really be dead? Just like that? For some reason, neither one of them could believe it. Draco squeezed Audrey's hand tighter as he turned back towards the direction Voldemort's voice had come from. Before long, a gathering crowd of students were all too apparent and in moments, the two of them had joined them.

The two of them had stood there silently, taking in the scene before them. Harry was lying limply in Hagrid's bulky arms. The situation definitely looked grim. Draco was about to say something to Audrey when they were recognized.

"Draco... Audrey," a woman's voice was barely audible from their distance. Draco looked up to see his mother standing with the Death Eaters. Her eyes stared longingly at her son. As much as he didn't want to join the side in which she stood, Draco knew what he had to do.

Taking Audrey with him, Draco began pushing his way through the crowd of students, heading towards his mother. Halfway there, he and Audrey were stopped by Lord Voldemort himself.

"Ah, Draco and Audrey... how nice of you to join us," he almost purred as he gave the two obviously frightened teens what turned into a very awkward hug. Draco and Audrey stood there completely still, just wanting it to end.

When Voldemort finally released them from his grasp, the couple wasted no time in getting to Narcissa. The woman immediately hugged both of them, turning them away from the drama in the process and pulling them to the back of the crowd.

"You two okay?" she asked quietly.

"Yes mum, we're fine," Draco assured, though neglecting to mention anything about his unconscious adventure.

Before Narcissa could say anything else, Voldemort spoke again. "Have you decided to join us? What is your name?"

"Neville Longbottom."

Both Audrey and Draco's heads shot in the direction of what was bound to be something bad. Neville had to be stupid to challenge the Dark Lord. Draco always knew he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, but he surely didn't think the boy was that daft.

A roar of laughter erupted from the Death Eaters, all too aware of the irony. Neville wanting to join them? They were the reason his parents were locked away at St. Mungo's. "I was certainly hoping for better-"

"-I have something to say," Neville cut off Voldemort. Now he was just being careless.

The Dark Lord was struck silent momentarily by Neville's boldness. "Well... I'm sure we're all interested in what you have to say."

Draco craned his head to see what Neville was going to say. He surely didn't want to miss this. "Doesn't matter that Harry's gone. People die every day- friends, family.... Yeah, we lost Harry tonight. But he's still with us... in here." Neville paused briefly here to touch his heart. "So is Remus, Tonks... all of them. They didn't die in vain. But you will! Cause you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us! All of us! It's not over!"

A roaring cheer erupted from the students as Harry tumbled out of Hagrid's arms, very much alive. Draco turned to Audrey, and then to his mother as a new battle between good and evil erupted between the students and Death Eaters. His mother started pulling him and Audrey away from the battle. Draco knew now was the time to make that life-altering decision his grandfather was talking about. He stopped after only taking a few steps, causing both Narcissa and Audrey to stop.

"Draco, come on. What are you doing?" his mother asked.

"Mother, I have to fight. I'm not going to run away anymore. I can't," he replied. "Voldemort has to be stopped. You know this..."

Narcissa didn't say anything for several moments. "I know Draco; I just wish you didn't have to play a part in it..."

"I chose my own path," he said calmly. Draco watched a single tear roll down his mother's face. It killed him seeing her like that. "Please, just go lie low. Don't go home- they'll suspect you there. You and father go to a relative's. I'll find you when it's all over," he said quietly. Audrey had joined his side, and he felt a little better after that. "We'll be alright mum. I promise. Just let me do this."

Narcissa took a breath as Lucius caught up to her finally. "Alright, just please be careful. Both of you."

"We will," Audrey stepped in quietly.

With that, Draco watched his parents walk slowly away from the battle, hopefully headed towards safety. He watched them for a few moments before looking at Audrey. She looked just as uneasy as he did. They locked eyes for a second before Draco decided to kiss her. It wasn't much, but he knew how much it would mean to her.

When he pulled away, he saw a smile appear on her face for a moment. "Are you ready for this?" he asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Audrey sighed.

Draco took a deep breath before he drew his wand and turned to face the chaos. "Let's do this..."