Chapter 15: "Am I Dead?"

Well, once again, I have been coaxed into uploading early by missymaris. =P Now, this is the last chapter I have just ready to go, so I have to get more time to actually sit down and write a whole bunch. I thought at one point this story wouldn't go much further than where it is now, but part of me wants to make it longer. So, give me your opinions, and I'll see what I can do. Hope you enjoy! =)

***********************************************************************************************************

"I can feel my heart racing as I run towards the light that seems so far away, wandering forever in the darkest of shadows, wondering if I'll ever see you again..." –Walking Dead, DJ Z-Trip featuring Chester Bennington

The fire grew ever closer to Draco, only feet from him. The boy was honestly scared. He was certain he was dead, as was everyone else. Goyle stood behind him, but that was not reassuring to him in the slightest.

When all hope was finally lost, Draco heard Ron shout, "If we die for them I'm going to kill you, Harry!"

Draco turned his head to see the Golden Trio flying towards him and Goyle. Draco was shocked to see Harry extend his hand towards him. Draco went to grab it, but missed at the last second. He watched Harry and his friends loop back around. Harry put out his hand, and this time, Draco didn't miss, and snatched Harry's hand. Harry pulled his enemy up, still flying towards the exit.

The fire roared underneath them, slowly surging into a wave that would surely engulf the entire room. Draco was unsure if they would even make it to the door in time. He found himself hanging onto Harry's arm as tightly as he could, keeping his eyes on fire growing ever closer to them.

Draco closed his eyes tightly, not wanting to see if they would make it. It was too scary for him. Next thing he knew, there was a large crashing noise. They had flown into the door, knocking it completely open. Shaken from the impact, Draco somehow managed to fall off of the broom. He felt himself roll a few times before blacking out entirely.

A bright light awoke him. Draco opened his eyes to find himself in a white room. He stood up, glancing around. He had no idea where he was, and nothing in the room was helping him determine that.

"I was wondering when I'd see you again," a familiar voice called out from behind him.

Draco turned to see an old man who looked much like his father standing before him. "Grandfather? Is that you?" he asked.

The man nodded. Draco knew then one of three things was happening. He was either dreaming, hallucinating, or dead. And he was really hoping it wasn't the latter. His grandfather, Abraxas, had been dead for several years now, and the last time Draco had seen him it was in a casket.

"Am I dead?" he asked.

Abraxas merely laughed at his grandson. "No. You're just having an experience of sorts." He cleared his throat. "Now, Draco, what the hell have you been thinking? Joining up with Voldemort? Why?"

"It's what I wanted," Draco stated unsurely.

"No, it's what you think you wanted," Abraxas countered. "Honestly, Draco, you and I both know that you don't want any of this. You don't want people dead, and you surely don't want to be serving a power hungry wizard bent on world domination."

Draco stared blankly at his grandfather. He had never been told exactly how he felt before. He had never told anyone about how much he hated being a Death Eater, how much he hated himself for doing it in the first place.

"This isn't what you had hoped for," Abraxas went on. "You saw being a Death Eater as a status enhancer. You thought it would be luxurious, and it'd give you the power and fame you so desperately sought. But it didn't. It only brought you fear and made you weaker."

This caught Draco off guard. He hadn't even told Audrey about how he felt about it. So how on Earth did his deceased grandfather have any clue about it? Draco shook it from his thoughts. "Since you seem to know so much, what do you think I should do?" he questioned.

Abraxas raised an eyebrow at his grandson. "First of, I'd watch your tone with me. Secondly, I think it would be wise to get away from the Death Eaters. It would be beneficial to you, your family, and your girlfriend."

That last bit shocked Draco. "How do you know about Audrey?" he asked.

His grandfather snickered quietly at his question. "I know about a lot, and quite frankly it's hard not to know about her. You've spent nearly every waking moment with her for the past eight months." He paused, but only for a moment. "Nice girl though. Keep her around."

"I've been told that," Draco stated. "Not everyone agrees though..."

"Who cares what your daft 'friends' think? She makes you happy does she not?" Abraxas asked. When Draco nodded, he continued. "If you're happy then that's all that matters. Your friends just don't understand that she brings out the good in you. They'll never have what you have, and they're jealous of that."

"She was staying whether they liked it or not," Draco stated matter-of-factly. "They don't have a say."

Abraxas shook his head. "You have that kind of mentality when it comes to your girlfriend, but nothing else? Draco, you know right from wrong, why don't you apply that to the situation with the Death Eaters?"

"I... I don't know," Draco stuttered.

Abraxas gave his grandson a stern look. "Please Draco. Quit while you're ahead."

"Okay, okay, I'm done," Draco assured. "You're right, okay? I did it for all the wrong reasons. I'm sorry if I... disappointed you."

Abraxas shook his head. "You haven't disappointed me, Draco. You have realized the error of your ways, and have taken action to correct them." Abraxas gave his grandson a brief hug. "Now get back out there and give 'em hell."

"Thanks grandfather," Draco smiled slightly. He turned away from him for a moment, but then he remembered something. "Wait! When will I see you again?" he called out.

The old man chuckled lightly. "Hopefully not anytime soon." And with that, the man began fading into the white light. Draco was sure he was hallucinating now, as the white room began to slowly turn black around the edges, eventually fading into complete darkness.

The next thing Draco heard was gentle sobbing. He slowly opened his eyes, seeing Audrey's face not too far away, tears creeping slowly from her eyes. She was obviously upset about something. Draco felt her arms wrapped around him, and then it hit him. She thought he was dead. He frowned slightly before he spoke.

"Audrey... quit crying," he said. "I'm alright."

The girl opened her eyes and looked down at him. A small smile appeared on her face. "Are you okay?" she asked.

He sat up slightly, rubbing the back of his head. "I think I am," he muttered. "Just hit my head..."

Audrey kissed his forehead. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Before Draco could reply to her, a few students ran past, firing spells in the direction in which they came. A few Death Eaters chased after them, throwing all sorts of curses at their prey. Audrey and Draco exchanged glances before realizing they had no option. They were probably going to have to battle their way out.