// ten //

I was so nervous when I walked in. Everything just seemed to go slower.

He had a blank look on his face when he finally saw me. He doesn't remember me. He doesn't know who I am. I thought as I held back the tears.

"Hi." I said in almost a whisper.

"How are you?" He still had a blank look on his face.

"I'm fine." He paused. "Who are you?"

I knew this would happen. I knew he wouldn't remember who I was. I just didn't think it'd hurt so much.

"I'm Marlena." I walked over and sat next to him.

I grabbed his hand. "Do you know where you are?"

He shook his head no.

"You're in the hospital. Do you remember what happened that brought you here?"

He shook his head no again.

"You got shot," I paused. "trying to save me."

"You hit your head hard due to the impact of the gun shot." He looked surprised.

"Why would I do that? I don't know you."

I couldn't do it. After he said that I excused myself and ran out the room.

I don't know you.

I kept hearing that in my head. It hurt so much. It felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest.

I practically ran out of his room.

"Marlena? What happened?" Ashton walked over to me and hugged me.

"He doesn't remember me. He doesn't remember anything. I knew this would happen. I just didn't expect it to hurt this much."

"Shhh. It's going to be fine. We'll help him get his memory back."

The rest of the boys went in one by one to see him and had the same results as I did. Except the part of being heartbroken.

We were about to leave when someone called for Ashton.

"Ashton? Luke? Michael?" They questioned.

Everyone turned around to see who it was including myself.

It was a couple. They were at least in their mid-thirties maybe close to forty.

How do they know the boys?

"Mr. and Mrs. Hood?" Luke asked surprised.

Calum's parents looked so much like Calum, or should I say he looked so. much like them.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"We heard Calum got hurt and that he was hospitalized. We wanted to see if he was ok." His mother said calmly.

"Now you care to check? Now that he's awake? Why not when he went in to surgery. Or during the three fucking months that he didn't wake up?Huh? Now you decide to give a damn?" Luke started to yell at his parents.

As much as it seemed wrong for him to yell at them, he did have a point.

"How long have you even known that he was here?" Ashton stepped up and pushed Luke aside.

"For two months now."

He nodded.

"Who's she?" His dad pointed towards me.

"I'm Marlena. Nice to meet you." I tried to shake his hand but he just stared at it.

Well.

"I think it's best for you to come some other time. We're having a family meeting." Ashton emphasized 'family' but they didn't seem to catch on.

"Al-alright. We'll be back tomorrow afternoon." The boys didn't respond but simply turned around and faced Calum's door.

"So those are his parents?" I broke the silence.

"Yeah but he doesn't like to talk about them. They ignored him all his life. They didn't care if he was home or wasn't or even if he came home at two am. They didn't care if he never came home."

"They didn't even acknowledge him when he came in the room, they acted like it was just them two, no one else. They didn't care for him so he didn't see a reason to care for them."

Ashton continued.

"He ran away one day and they didn't even bother to have cops look for him. They didn't even notice the kid was gone for a month. I guess they noticed because they need something from him, otherwise they would have been oblivious to his whereabouts."

"Wow." I said in a light whisper.

"That most have been tough on him."

"He got used to it after a while."

"He shouldn't have though."

"Yeah. It was messed up of them to be like that towards their own son."

"Yeah." I sort of stopped listening and got lost in my own thoughts.

I wonder what it felt like to be ignored by your own parents.

I was an only child so I got all the attention and a little extra. Sure are times I wished they ignored me but I can't imagine being ignored all the time.

It must have been tough on Calum.

++++

The next day I woke in the hospital's waiting room. I didn't want to leave. I'd sleep in the room with Calum but I wouldn't want to bother him. Specially since he didn't have any idea who I was.

He didn't remember anyone or anything.

I really hope he has a fast recovery and remembers things quickly. I don't know how much longer I can handle him being like this.