Luna [Ch. 10]

Luna: The Moon Goddess

Chapter 10

Being in public school was exactly how I thought it would be; everyone hanging around in the hallways before and after classes. I noticed the different cliques as well.

There were the populars, the jocks, nerds, emos, the drama students, the singers, dancers, and many more. I decided on not including myself in anything that was clique related. I'm not here to fit in.

Once lunch came around, I finally saw a form of familiarity. The cafeteria here kind of like the one at the Institute, except for the posters showing school spirit. After I grab anything from the buffet table -I'm not really that hungry- I found an empty, rectangle table and sat down.

Only a few minutes passed until my comfortable loneliness was interrupted. A guy, whom I don't know, sat down beside me. He had a buzz haircut, and his forest green eyes gazed at me with wonder. He looked about eighteen, maybe seventeen. "Hi, I'm Kyle," he introduced himself while holding out his hand for me to shake.

I looked down at it, and that's all. He retrieved his hand but kept a slight smile on his face, obviously not offended by my lack of friendliness. I looked down at my tray. I just noticed I had grabbed a burger that was wrapped in fake aluminum paper, fries, an orange, and a milk carton. I picked up the orange and began to peel it.

"You must be new here," the boy, Kyle, stated. I nodded my head in response. I saw him nod his head out the corner of my eyes. He looked as if he was thinking of something to else to ask me. "So, what's your name?" he asked.

I sighed. I guess he doesn't get that my silence is his cue to leave. Seriously, I'm not here to make friends. There's no point in becoming friends with the students here, just to get them tangled up in my already complicated life.

And plus, this is the only day I'm going to be here, since I'm leaving tonight after the full moon rises and I get my full powers.

I looked to him, to see him waiting patiently for my answer. I couldn't help but see the attractiveness his face held. His chin had a little stubble from facial hair growing in.

I looked back towards my orange and finished peeling it. Kyle chuckled lightly. "Well, I see you're not much of a talker," he stated pragmatically. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, she was taught not to speak to strangers," I hear a new voice say with noticeable humor. I didn't have to look up to know that it was Travis who spoke. He put his tray on the table and sat across from me.

I then noticed a few others sit down as well. I groan mentally. Ugh, really? Do I have a sign on my forehead saying come sit and talk to me, or something? I broke apart my orange began eating it.

"You know her?" Kyle asked Travis, obviously surprised. I looked to Travis an awaited his response. He looked back at me as he spoke.

"Yeah, her name is Layla," he answered, a small smirk on his face; almost in a proud manner, probably proud that he remembered to use my fake name.

"I thought her name was Luna?" the girl sitting next to Travis, whom I now recognize as Hannah, asked. Hmm, I guess their back together? If so, their break up didn't last long. I don't doubt if she was the one who wanted to get back together, either. She seems like the type of girl who likes arguing, as a way of keeping the relationship heated, or maybe because of what happens when they make up. Either or, I can read her like a book.

Like right now, I can tell that her curiosity is a fraud for her wanting to know why Travis is lying about my name. I know this, because she's looking at him as if she wants to slap him; frame stiff from anger.