Luna [Ch. 14]

Previously: "What happened to your parents?" Sarah asked Travis. "They died in a car accident when I was thirteen," Travis answers. He and Luna have been in the wilderness for a bit, hiding and running nonstop. Luna can't seem to shake him. It's like the more she tries to leave him, the more he stays put by her side. Luna calls Travis a child. "Ever since my parents died in that car accident, everyone's been treating me as if I'm some fragile child that will shatter to pieces at any given moment. I'm not as weak as you think I am, Luna," Travis said. "Prove it," I dare him. Travis mentions to Luna that he wants her to teach him the skills she knows. She tells him no, because he'll end up getting himself killed. Yet, Travis insist on learning.

Chapter 14

I stand perfectly still as I watch him storm toward me. His face holds determination as he reach for me. He grabs my shoulders aggressively and proceeds to toss me to the ground. Before he could get to the tossing part, I grabbed his arms, ducked my head forward, and swung it under his left forearm. I then quickly swung him to my left and he went flying to the ground...yet again.

It all happened so fast that he didn't have time to react. He groans as he hit the ground and just laid there. He huffed as he glanced at the ceiling.

When he first mentioned he knew of this place, I was skeptical. But when we arrived, I was quite impressed. It was an old, abandoned warehouse, stranded on a back road behind the city. It wasn't a large place, but it was big enough to accommodate at least 100 people comfortably.

The floor was concrete and the walls were made of brick, keeping in whatever noise was being made inside. When I asked him how he knew of this place, he said he had been here a few times when parties had happened here. It was understandable for this place to be used to throw a party; it's an ideal space for teens to get away from the city for a couple of hours.

We're in the very center of the warehouse, the door open, letting the sun and the cool breeze in. I sigh and walke to where Travis was still lying on the ground. His chest rising and falling as he tried to catch his breath.

"I have to say, you're not as weak as I thought you were," I admit as I look down at him. His light brown, hazel eyes shifted to me.

"I don't know...whether that's...a compliment...or an insult," he stated in-between breathes.

"It's a bit of both, really," I clarify with a shoulder shrug. He staggers into a sitting position. He stays there for merely five seconds before standing up. He huffed again and rolled his shoulders back.

I'd be an idiot to not have noticed his muscles ripple through his shirt. And, since I'm not an idiot, I also noticed his well-toned abs as he raised the hem of his shirt up to wipe the sweat from his face. Sweat. Of course he's sweating. We've been going at this for the pass three hours. Not once has he been able to overpower me.

"You relay too much on your strength, which is why you get out of breath so easily. Remember to steady your breathing and move quickly. The faster you move, the less chance they have to catch you," I inform him. He releases his shirt and nods his head, hinting his understanding.

He moves into his stance, ready for attack. I steady my breathing and await his attack. I watch his eyes scan me over before meeting my eyes. "You've trained people before, haven't you?" he ask as he saunters my way, body suddenly relaxed, and a calm look on his face.

"At the institute, yes. Usually you have to be twenty one to begin training others, but since I was the best, my father insisted I started on my eighteenth birthday," I tell him, watching him cautiously as he near me.

He stops once he was in front of me. He towered me in height, looking down on me. I keep my stance, wondering what he was up to.

"That's a horrible birthday present," he mutters, looking me over.