Luna [Ch. 9]

Chapter 9

I could barely sleep. The fact that today will have a full moon was replaying over and over in my head. I looked to my right, to find Sarah lying soundlessly asleep in bed next to me.

I figured she'd be more comfortable in bed then on a pallet on the floor. The other night keeps racing through my mind like a shock wave. Sam had come looking here for Sarah and I. That means, most likely, that my father will have people patrolling this area.

Not only that, but Travis didn't rat us out. That came as a surprise. I was sure he wouldn't have hesitated to get rid of the "psycho killer" he presumes me as.

I looked at the clock; 5:40am. Well, I shouldn't be surprised I slept later than usual, considering everything that’s happened the past couple of days. Yesterday, I got in touch with Tucker. He’d said it’d been quiet around the mansion concerning me. One may think that’s a good thing, but I know better. I know that when a mission being spoken of around the institute, then it’s a very serious one.

I sighed and got out of bed and left the room, heading to the bathroom. Once there, I showered and brushed my teeth.

I gathered my dirty clothes and headed back to the bathroom, a warm towel wrapped around me. When I finished getting ready, I went downstairs. I was greeted by the smell of bacon, eggs, and coffee on my journey.

I found Martha in the kitchen, like always as I’ve come to realize from the past few days. She greeted me with a smile. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I greeted back while taking a seat at the table; currently holding the food. It all looked mouth-watering while sitting on vintage looking plates in the center if the rectangular table. "This meal looks delicious," I decided to say out loud. This meal looked a lot more appealing than the ones at the institute.

Well, the food was good, but the presentation made the home-cooked food seem more like cafeteria food. There were no peach colored cloths covering the tables to match the pillowed seats. There were no windowed cabinets off to the side that held family pictures and valuable looking Chinese dishes.

At the Institute, we ate in just that...cafeterias. Where there were multiple steal tables and chairs sat to the side of a buffet table filled with a lot if food. The food was actually the best part of the Institute; everyone looked forever to eating the food that the elder women prepared.

"I took the liberty of enrolling you and Sarah into school. Education is important in this household," Martha stated simply as she started making a plate of food.

I looked to her in surprise. School? As in public school? I picked up a plate and began placing food on it. "I don't think attending school is such a good idea. Especially since my father has Sam trying to hunt us down," I remind her.

Martha nodded her head. "Exactly. Which means that they’ll be having this area on full watch, which also means being in a school building is the last place they'd look for you two," she declared, explaining her plan more thoroughly.

I opened my mouth to deny it, but closed it when i realized she may be right. We being in school is the absolute last place they'd look. But I don't want to go to school.