[Chapter 30]

[A/N:] This is unedited, so please suggest things you want changed or if you have suggestions to make it better :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Tony Stark]

    "Stark." Fury sighed, looking up from his sleek, chrome desk at me. The director of S.H.I.E.L.D looked tired. His eye was bloodshot, a bag hanging under it from exhaustion. 

    "Morning, Fast and the Furious." I greeted, sliding into the hard, plastic chair positioned in front of his desk. I leaned back so my feet were resting on the surface of the desk, the front legs of my chairs hovering over the ground. 

    "I've been thinking." My fingers plucked a ballpoint pen from a pencil cup and I twirled it in my fingers lazily. "Well, actually, Banner and I have."

    "Just get on with it." the impatient Nick growled, glaring at me from over the screen of his computer.

    Arching an eyebrow at the pissed man, I continued. "We think we can save her. The Phantom." 

    The navy and gold pen balanced on my fingertips as Fury looked at me, waiting for the inevitable.

    "What do you want?"

    A grin slowly spread across my face. "Ah, I knew you would say that." Lowering my feet to the thin, gray carpet, I leveled my gaze with his. "We need to bring her to Stark Tower where I have all of my equipment. Don't get me wrong, your toys are nice, but there's a few things that I require that you don't have."

    "No." he stated firmly. "No. The Phantom isn't leaving this base."

    "You saw what happened when she got angry, Fury." My voice was grim, even. "That was just a side effect of her soul splitting apart. Do you want to see what would happen when it broke completely? We were lucky to get out alive. If we don't at least try to fix this, no one will get out alive."

    "And how do you know this?" Nick challenged.

    "She emits an energy signature that Bruce and I have been monitoring for spikes and changes. If what she says is true, that the light was pure energy from her soul (which is almost incalculable in level of power, by the way), that little light show was just the sneak peek."

    Fury looked torn. "Can't we just get the machines you need?"

    "You heard the girl. She doesn't have long to live; we're running out of time. Quinn will be watched constantly. I'll have JARVIS keep an eye on her, not allow her access into the rooms that she doesn't absolutely need to be in. Captain Babysitter can come along if you want, too."

    His dark eye lit up with curiosity and a hint of suspicion.

    "Why are you so interested in saving her, Stark?"

     I fell silent, an almost imperceptible sigh escaping my lips.

    "Because I was given a second chance. I know what it's like to have your days numbered. She deserves the best shot we have, Fury. And right now, it's the only thing she's got."

    Slowly, the director nodded his assent. "You'll leave this evening. I'll send Cap and the Phantom out on a demon hunt before they are to report to the tower and meet you there. If I even catch wind of anything strange happening with the Phantom, Stark." he threatened, leaning forwards to match my steady, unbroken gaze. "We lock her somewhere far away from any civilization until she dies. We can't have her threatening the populace. Are we clear?"