[Chapter 22]

[Quinn]

    Steve and I approached the doorway leading to the ballroom and I took his arm, both of us awkwardly glancing past each other's eyes. 

    "Ready?" He asked, hand reaching for the doorknob. I nodded and we entered the expansive room again, trying to smoothly make our way through the crowd without being spotted coming back in or being stopped. A smile flashed across my face at random people as we walked and I tried to act natural, relaxed, and with no hint that I had just knocked out two men and stuffed them in a closet. Maybe I'll put that on my resume if I ever want to get a job in acting.

    We had almost reached the exit of the ballroom that led to the lobby of the hotel, when I caught a glimpse of a flash of white blond hair out of the corner of my eye.

    Silas?

    My steps faltered as I attempted to glance over my shoulder, my heart in my throat. The throng of people surrounding me blocked my view as my eyes darted through the crowd, frantically trying to pinpoint the person I had seen. Forced to face forwards again to not draw attention to myself, my thoughts ran haywire as I tried to reason with myself.

    It wasn't him. You're probably just seeing things. I thought.

    The hairs on the back of my neck prickled as I felt a burning gaze sear into the back of my head, the  awareness of someone watching me washing over my senses. I gritted my teeth to resist the urge to turn around and glance back as Steve and I rounded the corner and I caught a final glimpse of the gala. My eyes caught on something that made my heart stop and blood run cold, ice filling my veins.

    Standing in the midst of the twittering and chatting guests was Silas, his pale blue eyes trained directly on me as a knowing smirk lifted the corner of his lip. He looked exactly as I remembered him, not changed in the slightest. His lean, muscular frame was dressed in a simple black tuxedo with shiny, dark shoes to match. White blond hair was carefully combed into place, falling across his pale features accented by his straight, hard jaw and angular cheekbones. Blue eyes, so light that they glinted like shards of ice, complemented his white skin.

    A revolted shudder ran through me as his lips lifted into a stiff smile, greed and want glinting in his predatory eyes. Hot, bubbling rage filled me as we made eye contact. He knew I couldn't do anything to hurt him here. There were too many civilians, too large of a risk to take to send a dagger through his heart. Memories flashed behind my eyes is rapid succession, Silas's and my hands intertwined, him smiling what I had thought was a charming smile and now I realized was a lecherous one. Him laughing as I was chained to a wall, unable to shrink any further against the cool cement as his figure loomed ever closer, a glint in his eye that I had never seen before.

    That was the old me. The new me is going to watch him die, right after Corvus. The new me will enjoy hearing Silas beg for mercy. Mercy that I won't give. 

    Time's running out, Tally. He mouthed.

    Yeah, your time. I spat soundlessly back at him.

    Smirking, he turned and strutted idly through the crowd, disappearing into the mass of gowns and tuxedos.

    "You ok?" I glanced up as I heard a murmur in my ear, seeing a worried and, dare I say, slightly suspicious Steve. Why wouldn't he be suspicious of me? I reminded myself.

    "Fine." My voice was short and snappy. Anger simmered within me as I started straight ahead as we stalked through the marble-floored lobby.

    Soon. Soon Silas will die and pay, just like my father will.