[Chapter 9]

[Steve Rogers]

    I watched in stunned silence as Quinn fought Agent Browne. All of her movements were fluid and perfectly timed. Not to mention fast. Quinn ducked a punch from Browne then just as fast spun around and struck her with a fierce roundhouse kick that made me want to wince. That had to hurt.

    Now I know why she's called the Phantom, I thought. She's there and gone before your mind can register what just happened.

    Browne nearly kicked her in the side of the head, but missed. She quickly recoiled and attempted to elbow Quinn in the stomach. Again, Quinn was just out of reach. Quinn shot two rapid punches at Browne's face, one in the jaw, the other in the nose.

    Browne slumped to the floor, unconscious. Quinn stood there, not even slightly winded. Fury rose and walked to the door, muttering "Stay here." to us. Quinn looked up as Fury entered the room, and I noticed her hood was still in place, shadowing her features except for her full, pale lips, slightly hallow cheeks, and part of her nose.

    "She's a great fighter." Natasha said, observing her. "How did she get so good? Someone must have to had taught her. She's young, I can tell she's at least 17. I was barely at her level at age 20."

    Hawkeye nodded in agreement. "Browne couldn't even touch her, and she's been doing hand-to-hand combat for nearly her entire life." He watched Browne slowly get off of the ground and talk to Fury. "It's....interesting, to say the least."

    I glanced at Thor and Banner to see what they thought. Thor looked mildly bored, and Banner was in his usual thoughtful mood.

    Browne left the training room, and Fury and the Phantom came into our room.

    Stark rose and strolled across the room to stand in front of Quinn.

    "That lasted for less than a minute, and your hood didn't even fall off. Good job, rookie. You're better than I expected."

    I waited for the 'but you'll never be better than me', but it never came. Wait, did Tony Stark just give an actual compliment?

    My eyes shifted to Director Fury. From the look on his face, he was planning something as he observed Quinn.

    "It would appear so." There was a calculating glint in his eye. "But now, it's going to get harder. A lot harder."

    As Fury talked, Stark silently crept around the room to stand behind Quinn.

    Quinn turned to look at Fury, staring him evenly in his eye. "Why, what will you gain by testing me and seeing me fight? I already know you want to find if I'm classified as a possible threat, which I have no doubt you're going to do, but what else do you want me for?"

    Stark's hand reached out, and his intentions become clear. He's going to remove her hood. I wanted to warn her, but like everyone else, I'm curious about the girl who no one knows about, is a mystery.

    She paused for a second. "It's because you want to know who I am. I'm the one you don't know about out of the millions of people you do. If there's one thing I already know about you, Fury, is that you can't stand not knowing that one piece of information you don't have."

    Fury's jaw clenched, but in his eyes I could tell he was almost gloating, because he's a second away from discovering something about her that will ultimately lead to his knowing of who she is.

    Stark's fingers inched closer, a breath away from the dark gray fabric of her hood.

    "Well, you won't find out today" Quinn said, an edge in her voice.