[Chapter 23]

[Steve]

    "Coulson, is the Director okay?" I asked, a small tint of worry lacing my tone. If Fury died...let's just say it wouldn't be good and S.H.I.E.L.D would start to crumble without its leader until they got reorganized. Something that can't be afforded with all of the demons on the loose.

    "He's fine. A little shaken up, a few cuts, but nothing major. Luckily, he had his gun loaded with vibranium bullets. He thought it would be wise to carry them."

    I nodded and said nothing else. The rest of the car ride was spent in thick silence, tension rolling off in waves from Phil as he drove to S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ, his knuckles white on the steering wheel. Quinn sat beside me, stiff and pressed closely to the door of the car as she stared out the window, lost in her own thoughts. Sighing, I closed my eyes and leaned back in my seat as my mind began to wander.

    What the hell is Vermont planning? Something about "the future of the human race" and town hall? I thought back to the linen closet and everything Krale had said, the squeaking of the maid's cart as she came to a halt outside of the door, then....Quinn. My face heated up slightly as I turned my head to look out of the window at the scenery dotted with city lights. My lips still lightly tingled from the pressure of hers against mine, my fingers still able to feel the cool silk under my fingertips, the heat of her body, the intoxicating aroma unique to her...

    "We're here." Phil stated, snapping me out of my reverie. Nodding, I climbed out of the car, seeing that Quinn was already stalking towards the building. I forced myself to look anywhere but at her retreating form as I followed close behind as we were ushered into the building by agents and led to the labs, Coulson close behind.

    "Capsicle! How was the gala?" Stark's voice rang from the other side of the lab. He was sitting at a desk as he observed a screen, a bag of chips with the words "Cheetos" emblazoned on the front sitting next to him on the tabletop.

    "What have you got, Stark?" I asked, ignoring his question.

    "No need to get snippy. Originally, a strange energy signal was detected, and we assume it was a demon because it disappeared after Fury killed the one that attacked him. But then, we found more energy signals that we think are located inside of the compound, but without knowing exactly what type of energy we're looking for we can't pinpoint it."

    "So far, we know it's energy that we've never seen before." Bruce Banner said as he entered the room, sipping a cup of coffee and looking exhausted yet determined. His pastel blue, button down shirt was wrinkled and his glasses were slightly crooked, probably from rubbing his tired eyes.

    "Demons." Quinn stated matter of factly. "The Irritum Animam needs energy from souls to create demons. Demons are the opposite of that pure energy, just shadows, nothingness. They suck energy from their victims and the air around them, which can cause the temperature to drop."

    "Like a black hole?" Coulson inquired.

    "Similar, I guess. I'm not an expert."

    She leaned her elbows on the table as she studied the screen of facts and charts, trying to figure out where the demon, or demons, were.

    I tore my eyes away from the admittedly nice view I was given, clearing my throat and saying, "Bruce and Stark, tell us when you think you have an idea of where they are. Until then, be on alert and update us the second anything changes." I stifled a yawn. "I'm going to bed. Night."

    I turned to walk out the door, wanting to get away from Quinn before I catch myself staring at her again, when Coulson said, "Cap, take the Phantom to her room, too. Fury wants eyes on her at all times." He sent a pointed look at the vigilante, the look only Phil could pull off.