Chapter Forty Nine

I took my hand from his. "Jason, hindi ganun kadali iyon."

I felt horrible pero ayokong umasa siya sa wala. He was everything a woman could ask for in a man and I'm not close to the possibility that I might fall in love with him. Gusto ko si Jason, I was starting to like him more than a friend but not enough as a lover. But I needed to be sure of how I feel about him, I don't want to end up hurting him. I didn't want to be with him and think of another man.

He nodded his head and forced a smile.

"I'm willing to wait until your ready, Andi." He said in a sincere, sad voice. "I'll wait even if it takes years." 

"Ano ito?" Harold asked when Jason handed him a folder. 

"It's just some documents you need to sign to make our partnership official." Sagot ni Jason. Harold opened the folder and scanned through the papers. Jason and I exchanged a look and he knew exactly what to do. He cleared his throat and started explaining what was written in the documents para hindi na mabasa pa ni Harold ang buong nilalaman nun. 

I handed him a pen nang matapos magpaliwanag si Jason. "Here you go, dad." 

Kinuha ni Harold ang pen mula sa akin at pinirmahan ang mga papel. Jason and I looked at each other and smiled. Akala niya para iyon sa negosyong matagal na nilang pinaguusapan ni Jason. The poor old man didn't know he was signing his downfall. I've waited so long for this and all those years of waiting will finally pay off. Makakaganti na rin ako sa kasalanan nila sa akin at sa anak ko. Suddenly, a small pang of guilt when through me but I tried ignored it. I told myself that he deserved it. Kulang pa nga ito sa kinuha nila sa akin. They took a life away from me.

Harold looked up from the paper after signing it. He smiled at me and for a brief moment, I saw in that smile the man that used to be my hero. The first man I loved before I even knew what love was. The man I used to look up to. The memories stung, I sighed and shook the thought away. He wasn't my father anymore. He was the devil that killed my baby.

"Ibig sabihin ba nito hindi na kayo babalik sa Amerika?" Masayang tanong ni Harold. 

"Yes, dad." Sumagot si Jason. "We're staying here for good. Naisip namin na tama nga kayo, mas makakabuti kung dito na lang kami sa Pilipinas lalo na ngayon na magkaka-baby na kami."

I saw shock in Harold's eyes as he stared at me, bumaba ang tingin niya sa tiyan ko. "You're... you're pregnant?"

I slowly nodded my head. His shock turned into a smile. He then got up from his seat to come and hug me. I unconsciously clutched my stomach and stepped back just as he was about to throw his arms around me. I didn't want him near me or my baby. I knew he couldn't hurt the baby anymore pero hindi pa rin nawawala ang takot na iyon sa dibdib ko. His smile faded and he put his arms down. His eyes were soft and sad and guilt was written all over his face. Dapat lang makonsensya siya sa ginawa niya noon!