Chapter 4

Brian gave me a small smirk and pulled my hand down into my lap and traced circles on the back. I

squeezed his hand when another tear fell. He let go and hopped up on the wall next to me and wrapped his arms around me again. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"What class do you have next?" I wonder why he was whispering? I had to sit and think before I

could give him and answer; I hadn't completely memorized my schedule yet. "German I think."

He rubbed my back and gave me a squeeze before pulling away from me. I grabbed his hand, I

needed some kind of comfort, I haven't felt this exposed in a while so I forgot what it felt like. It sucked. "You sure you want to stay the rest of the day, you're not lookin' so good?"

"That might be because I was crying." I sniffed and laid my head back on his shoulder.

"I meant besides the crying… smartass." I gave him a small smirk. "I wouldn't be able to go home

even if I wanted to, Sarah drove us to school today."

"I can take you home if you want, if you give me your schedule I can go get anything you'd need

from the classes you'll miss. I don't think my dad will mind." When he said "dad" I stopped and thought for a second. I sat up and looked at him, thinking. He looked at me confused.

"What's your last name, Brian?" Now he looked even more confused. "Uh, Haner.. Why?" I started

chuckling, "Papa Ha- uh, your dad comes to my house every other Saturday for dinner. I'm the one who moved in-"

"Four houses down," He was smiling, and laughing, "So you're the girl down the street that's stealing

my dad."

My mouth dropped open, "I am not! I would never steal Papa Haner from you!" He looked confused

again. "Why do you call him Papa Haner?"

I turned red from embarrassment, now it's really gonna sound like I'm trying to steal his dad.

"Uh.. Ha, he's uh… I'm not sure how to explain it… He likes a dad to me? That's the best way I can put it I guess."

He looked at me for a while, "And how was that hard to explain?" I looked at him and he was

smiling at me. I laughed and shrugged my shoulders. "And it doesn't bother your dad that you think of my dad, as a dad to you?" The look on his face made it seem like he confused himself.

I looked down at my feet then back at him. "My uh, parents, along with my younger brother, were

killed in a car crash when I was fifth-teen. Danny was going to turn fourteen that August."

He hesitated before saying anything, "Kate, I uh, I'm sorry. I uh, didn't-"

"Didn't know?" I shrugged, "I don't see how you would have. I'm okay, I promise…" I took a breath

before telling him what had happened. "Mom and Dad were arguing about something when my Mom ran a red light, and it was a busy intersection. Her side was hit first and her head snapped so hard from the impact that she died instantly." I took another breath, "My Dad's side was hit next, same thing happened to him." I took in a shaky breath and felt a tear run down my cheek and land on my hand. Talking about my brother was always the hardest for me. "Danny looked at me, terrified… I didn't know how to react, then he was hit…" I took a deep breath, felt more tears fall. "I had scooted closer to him before my side was hit, all I got was this." I pulled my hair away from the scar on the right side of my forehead. I took in another deep breath, "I've lived with Nicole ever since." I dropped the hair I was holding away from my scar, "When the medics told me how they all passed, they said it isn't normal for everyone in the accident to snap their necks… but he also said I was lucky to survive."

*******************************************************************

Sorry these last few chapters have been kind of chopped up. I thought they would be more affective that way :) Comment, fan, and vote please!!!!! I'd really love to know who's reading :D :D