26 | Revelations

Alternative cover for this book posted in the Multimedia created by my great friend Abby @raybanned. :)

HARRY

     Everything was not the same anymore. All of the spirit that I had felt before as soon as my wish to make it back home seemed to vanish. Today was supposed to be the time when I should feel at my happiest, in pure ecstasy for I finally made it back to where I wanted to go, but it turned to be the other way around.

     I could no longer cry. I felt like all of the reasons to keep on living suddenly faded away. There was no denial that I was undergoing the extreme state of depression, and no one could blame me for it. I just lost one of my best friends, the man who had helped me attain what I had been waiting for so long – the man who had sacrificed his life for me just to keep me safe. Niall, indeed, kept his promise, and I couldn’t be more thankful for all of the things he had done for me. From the moment we reunited until the very last second he was breathing on his own, I couldn’t be happier with his amazing company. Perhaps our eyes needed to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we could see life with a clearer view again.

     Here I was, with my back leaning against the white, paved wall of my home, with my hands clasped together above my knees. These hands were able to hold him for the very last time, and I couldn’t help but remember what happened a while ago – the way that he desolately shed his tears of despair, the way his soft, cold hands held onto mine that seemed to denote his plea to never leave his side. Those beautiful, blue eyes he once had that were slowly changing into something else – something cold, lifeless.

     I can feel it, Haz. I’m sorry but you have to…

     Those were his final words and he wanted to give up. Those words hurt me the most, for I knew that of all the people I had met along the way, Niall was one of the strongest people whom I knew I could count on. He was the reason behind my courage to step up, to carry on with this journey back home. But now that he’s gone, I was losing all of my hope again. I couldn’t handle if one of us would have to sacrifice our lives, and I didn’t want to be alone anymore.

     With my head still bowed down, my ears perceived upcoming footsteps, making their way closer to where I was. They were slow and steady, and from the way that this person was moving, I finally got the gist of who it was. I felt his hands touch mine, as he grunted in transient pain when he took his place beside me.

     “How are you feeling?” He asked softly, as he placed his other hand on my shoulder. I didn’t have the will to answer him, let alone to speak up. Everything that had been happening ever since Niall’s passing seemed to be insignificant, worthless even.

     “Haz, I know how much it hurts. Niall was a great person, a great friend. He was our best friend and I just want you to know that you’re not alone in this, okay?”

     No matter what he was saying, I still couldn’t find the inclination to speak. I was too exhausted, too heartbroken to even think about anything at the moment. Louis was trying to do his part, and I knew that he was right. He was making me realize that we still have each other, amidst this dreadful apocalypse.

     “Just leave me alone Louis,” I said, trying to get his hands off my shoulder. For some reason, there was this sentiment of searing rage that had been seething within my soul, and I was trying to control it as much as I could.