Ever Since We Met (Chapter 2)

I squinted my eyes as I rolled over facing the window. It's such a nice day. I wish it would resemble my heart right now. Happy and bright.

The sun was a bit bright. Why did the nurse open the shades already? The clock on my bedside table read 1:12 P.M.  Did I really sleep that long? I shrugged the thought off and got up to head for the bathroom. My shoulders were sloped and my back was beginning to hunch only slightly. I never thought that depressed people actually had their back hunched. It seemed overrated. It actually makes things feel slightly lifted off of me. A sort of comfortable position. Although, I'm aware it's not healthy.

My slippers wearily skid across the floor as I dragged them over the linolium. There was an annoying noise as they rubbed off the floor. And I heard the boy on the other side of the curtain shuffle about in his sleep. "Why's he still sleeping?," I wondered.

I walked out of the bathroom to find the nurse and a woman in a snazzy suit standing by my bed. They were chatting mutually, I observered. Both of them turned to face me as I stepped out of the bathroom doorway. 

"Ahh, Tiffany," the woman grinned. "I'm your social worker Mrs. Colvin. You may call me Linda though if you'd like," she said still grinning. Her simple grin annoyed me. Only to a slight extent. I knew she probably had a reason not to be gloomy but, I think she should take in consideration my situation and try and understand me more. 

I only nodded and she carried on with what's going to happen to me next. I'll be taken into a new family. Non-relatives. All of my relatives disappeared and she's placing me with a family until she locates my mom's sister. My Aunt Veronica. I've only met her once at a Christmas party when I was 9. I remember she gave me some toffee candy and a bright pink bag. Which in the past 7 years I've lost.

As Linda continued talking about the family my attention moved towards the boy on the other side of the curtain. He was getting out of bed and I think leaving the room. I heard other voices speaking to him. Whatever it was, I found it all the more interesting rather than Linda gab away about how loving the family I was going to be staying with was. 

"Tiffany?," Linda curiously asked "Are you alright"

"Yeah, yeah. I was just," I paused "spacing off. That's all"

"Okay," she laughed "So, you'll be staying another night here and then tomorrow we'll um head on over to your house and begin packing your things, alright?"

"Alright," I said still gazing off. I didn't want to look Linda in the face. She'll read my expressions and try and convince me  that "everything will be alright".

"I'll see you tomorrow kiddo," she placed her hand on my knee, got up and walked out the door.

"Do you need anything?" the nurse asked.

"No, I'm alright. Thanks" I said

_____________________________________________________________________________

2:25 A.M. the clock read. Damn, I had to wake up at this time. What am I gonna do at this time? I grabbed the remote by my bedside and turned on the TV. Cartoons began blasting and I scrambled to find the volume button to turn it down. I didn't want to wake the boy on the other side of the curtain.   Too late. The laughter booming from the speakers had awaken him. 

I heard him mumbling as he shuffled in his bed. I froze hoping that he would just fall back asleep. Just after I thought I could turn it up I heard him toss and turn some more. I sighed and turned it up anyway. Why should I care?

"Can you turn that down please?," he was mumbling still. I could hardly make out what he said.

"I don't see why I have to turn it down. It's not that loud" I said grumbling.

"What?," he asked

I thought he wouldn't be able to hear me over the speakers. 

"Nothing," I said whilst sighing. Talking to someone didn't seem appealing to me at the moment. No one's an exception.

"Well then," he said. I heard him get up and head for the bathroom. 

Why do I have to share a room anyway?

I shrugged off the thought and focused on watching Spongebob. I absolutely love Spongebob. No matter what, I always forget whatever it is I'm thinking about and focus on watching Spongebob.

"Ohh, the food is in the can," I said along with Patrick. He's so silly it always brings out a giggle in me. Although, I hate it when they replay episodes. This played yesterday too.

"Oh, I love that episode!" the boy on the other side of the curtain said. He was now standing on my side of the curtain and pointing at the TV. He was smiling and turned towards me. Exclaiming how he loves this episode. 

"Me too," I said expressionless.

"Um. Do you mind if I watch it with you?" he asked with a friendly smile. He woke up fast. In fact, he didn't look like he just woke up, like he'd just had a perfect nap.

I paused for a moment and just looked at him. It's nearly 3 o'clock in the morning and he wants to watch Spongebob with me. 

"... Alright. I guess." I said yet again expresionless. 

He sat at almost the foot of my bed and gazed at the TV. Every once in a while I'd turn my attention towards him and he'd be grinning like he'd just won a grand prize. Spongebob must make him giddy too.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I must have dozed off while watching Spongebob this morning. I woke up and it was noon. Of course, I wasn't awakened on my own but, I heard a guitar playing. The boy on the other side of the curtain was playing guitar and singing aSecondhand Serenade song. He sang beautifully but the fact that he decided to play while I was sleeping made me upset.

So, I didn't give him the compliment I was intending and sat there and just listened.

I sighed heavily hoping he'd hear me and take into consideration that I was sleeping. 

Just as I thought, he didn't hear me.

I crossed my arms and decided to turn on the TV. Not taking in consideration that he's playing his guitar.

"Ha, what a coincidence. Spongebob's on again." I thought to myself.

"Hey can I watch it with ya?" the boy stood there again on my side. Still grinning like an idiot. 

"I just want to be alone" I thought to myself. I didn't want to see anyone. I'm gonna have to live with strangers soon. Alone time seems best right now.

I didn't deny him though. "Sure," I said.

He jogged back to lay his guitar down and came back smiling. What's with him being happy all the time? It's cute, I guess. In a way it's creepy though. 

"Oh my God hahaha Patrick is my favorite!" he exlcaimed. His laugh was bizarre. I couldn't tell if it was annoying or funny.

"Mine too!" I said. I didn't even realize I cracked a half smile. It was almost an insticnt to express my love for Spongebob and Patrick.

He turned in time to see it. "Yeah," he said grinning "So uh, my names Brendon. Brendon Urie." he held out his hand. I shook it and replied, "Tiffany. Tiffany Fancher" 

"Tiffany," he echoed with a smile.

The short moment of silence was broken as a man and woman walked in with Linda.

"Brendon, Tiffany, you two ready?," the woman asked with a bright smile. She looked kind. Why would she be asking Brendon.

"Yup, I'm ready to go" Brendon said grabbing his bags. "Oh and mom, did you pick up my skateboard?"

Did I hear him correctly? Were my ears decieving me?

Linda walked over. She apparrantly noticed that I was utterly confused with this situation. "Tiffany, you'll be staying with the Urie's until I locate your Aunt." 

I don't know what to say to Linda.