Chapter 32. Invasion

Chapter Thirty-two

Invasion 

The increasing temperature led everyone to believe the convoy was heading south. The troops betted heavily on their likely destination. Turkey, Greece, and French West Africa were among the most favoured. The tension grew as day followed day. Finally, on the afternoon of July 1st they learned that at dawn on July 10th there would be an amphibious assault on the SW tip of Sicily. This was to be, "the first dagger thrust into Fortress Europe". 

The next few days they spent in intensive preparations. During daylight the soldiers crowded on to the shimmering upper decks, first for exercise, and then for lectures on topics ranging from dysentery to the nebelwerfer. At night, under blackout conditions, they practised the drill for loading the landing craft. Alone in their bunks they were expected to study the maps and air photos of the Pachino Peninsula and familiarize themselves with the terrain between their landing area, Sugar Beach, and their objective, the air strip outside the town of Pachino. 

As planned, the seven big troopships with their escorts stole through the Straits of Gibraltar at night. The famous rock was in darkness but the neighbouring Spanish city of Algeciras was aglow. Once in the Mediterranean, the convoy continued normal evasive manoeuvres under reassuring air cover. As they approached their destination, other convoys joined them, forming a huge invasion fleet. Bill could not believe that such a fleet could go undetected. A hot reception seemed inevitable. 

On the day before the planned assault, there was a change in the weather. The sky remained bright blue and cloudless, but the wind blowing from the North African coast started to freshen. The water started to heave and foam. Soon the smaller vessels scattered before the wind, some foundering in the surging waves. The wind reached gale force. Troopships rocked with a sickening motion. Even the largest warships were awash. The immense fleet scattered, the invasion possibly thwarted by the Sirocco, but just as suddenly as the wind had arisen, it subsided. By 1700 hours,it had abated to a gentle breeze and the seas calmed. Operation Husky was "go". 

Bill, Jack, and Tommy, all being members of the 9th Ambulance, bunked together. Now they lay silently in their bunks, kit at the ready, awaiting the call of their serial number. Jack was the first to go.  

"Well this is it chaps. This is what we've been waiting for." There was a nervous tremor in his voice. Bill jumped to his feet, faced his brother, grinned slightly, and gave him a monstrous hug. 

"You take care now young'un and remember your promise to Mum." 

"What, no fooling around with foreign women?" 

Bill thumped Jack on the shoulder. "That's not what you promised you dumb ox." 

"I know. Gotta go. Good luck. Hope to see you both when this is over." 

Jack left to join his platoon. Tommy who had been lying on his bunk during this conversation turned to Bill. 

"Do you think all three of us are going to make it, Bill?" 

"I would say the odds are against it." 

"Doesn't it worry you?" 

"I try not to think about it. There's nothing we can do about it anyway." 

"I'm scared, Bill. Not scared that I might get killed, but scared that I will let the others down, that I will buckle under fire." 

"You're not alone Tommy. I have terrible dreams. Dreams of mutilated soldiers screaming for help and I am shell shocked, completely out of it, unable to move. I must deep down have the same fears as you. Maybe our training will see us through."