Chapter Seven. Mary

Chapter Seven

Mary 

When the family moved to Askam, Mary, the eldest daughter, was thirteen years of age. In the opinion of her father, further schooling was pointless, she was a girl after all, and he encouraged her to take over the traditional role of an eldest daughter. Her mother balked at this, and insisted that Mary, along with her three siblings George, Dan, and Belle, attend the local school in nearby Kirby Ireleth. It soon became apparent however that the school had little to offer Mary. She was extremely intelligent, and her proficiency in the 3Rs matched that of Miss Wren, the beleaguered schoolmistress.  

After only two months of school, the schoolmistress called in Mary and her parents for a consultation. By this time Annie had given birth to a third daughter Betty and the strain of caring for the sickly child was etched on her matronly features. Fatigue was evident in her slow movements, and in the way she lowered her remarkably tall frame in to the wooden chair facing the teacher's desk. 

"Are you feeling O.K. Mrs. Benson?" 

"I'm fine Miss. It's just a touch of arthritis." 

"It must be hard work for you looking after four such energetic children and caring for the new baby." 

"We manage. Mary here is a great help, but I feel that we ask too much of her. It must interfere with her school work."  

Miss Wren smiled. "You have no worries on that score. Mary is by far and away my best pupil and that's what I would like to talk to you about. There's nothing more I can do for her here. She should be out looking for a position." 

Pop Benson, who had made a pretense of ignoring the conversation by perusing the students' artistic efforts displayed on the classroom walls, interrupted. 

"I told you Annie. She could have been at home all this time, helping you around the house." 

"That's not what I want for her George. She's such a bright girl. She could make something of herself." 

"Like what?" queried the father. 

Miss Wren brought Mary in to the discussion. "Have you thought about what you would like to do Mary?" 

The girl shyly shook her head. 

"She's so good with her brothers and sisters, and has really helped with the baby. I think she could make another Florence Nightingale." 

"Nursing's not for me mother. I'm just too squeamish." 

"Have you thought about teaching?" asked Miss Wren 

Pop Benson guffawed. "Doesn't that require more schooling? We can barely afford to keep her at school now. Training College would be way beyond our means." 

"I think I have a way round that Mr. Benson." 

"Go on." 

"As you are probably aware this is an endowed school, and there is a small sum set aside for the salary of a teacher's assistant. It is far too small a sum to attract a fully qualified teacher, but maybe Mary would be interested. She is more than capable." 

Mary's face beamed. 

"How much?" asked Pop. 

"20 pounds per annum." 

"Not bad for a girl," he grumped. "What do you think Annie? Will you be able to manage without her?"

Mary gave her mother no chance to reply.