Chapter Fourteen. The Fair

Chapter Fourteen

The Fair 

All during the week before Labour Day the farm hummed with activity as everyone made preparations for the fair. Pop, helped by Dan, cleaned all the produce they could garner from the garden and stacked it in shallow wooden crates. Belle and Mary, under the guidance of their mother, worked non-stop in the kitchen producing jams, preserves and a mountain of bread. Mrs. Maclean, determined to regain her embroidery prize, spent countless hours on the tablecloth she was entering in competition. Meg had entered Blizzard in the horse show, and was very grateful of George's help in grooming the beast. He also made Conker, who would also be on public display, more presentable. Bill and Betty were beside themselves with excitement. 

Early on the Saturday morning, Dan and George loaded up the farm cart and then, accompanied by Belle, drove off to the fairground in the Ford. They set up the provided stand in a very favourable position, just inside the main entrance to the grounds. Meg, her mother, and Mary, followed in the cart pulled by Conker. Blizzard, tethered to the back of the cart trotted along behind. It was almost noon when Dan returned to pick up Bill, Betty and his parents. After Dan dropped them off he left, ostensibly to park the car. They never saw him again that day.  

Ma and Pop Gill and their two youngest, after gaining admission, went directly to the Maclean stall. They were doing brisk business. Belle, with her good looks and strange accent, was attracting a lot of normally unwilling males and trading smiles for purchases. Mary was handling the cash.  

In the first of several long narrow buildings used for displays, they found handiwork of all kinds - quilts, embroidery, crochet, knitting - and there they found Mrs. Maclean anxiously looking over the work of her competitors. Ma Benson, intrigued by some of the unfamiliar crafts on display decided to stay with Mrs. Maclean. 

Pop led the two children in to the next building that housed pets of all kinds. George was found appraising a black labrador. 

"I thought you would be with Meg," said Pop. 

"I was, but she is due to show in ten minutes, and wanted to make some last minute preparations. She is so nervous you wouldn't believe it. I thought I'd better get out of the way." 

"Should we go and watch then." 

"Sure. The show ring is nearby." 

"Oh George. This is so boring. Can't we go on the rides now?" pleaded Betty. 

"We'll go right after we watch Meg. I promise." 

On the way over to the judging ring, they passed the building where they held the cooking competition. The smell of freshly baked goods reminded Bill that he hadn't had lunch. 

"When are we going to eat, Pop?" he wailed. 

"Soon son, soon." 

"But I'm hungry now." 

"Me too", moaned Betty. 

Luckily, they came across a vendor. Two apples, glazed with maple syrup, stopped their complaining. 

When the competitors entered the ring George realized why Meg had been so desperate to leave. She had needed to change for the competition. Dressed in her elegant riding habit and mounted side-saddle, she bore no resemblance to the dungaree-clad tomboy that bestrode Blizzard on the farm. 

"Wow, she sure looks the lady," exclaimed Pop. 

"She sure does," replied George feasting on her with his eyes.