From the desk of Rhea

Today, like any other day, is a great day for change. A change in venue, a change in weather, a change in attitude, and a change in ourselves. For so long, the American people have lived too comfortably in the idea that change will happen on its own. That people like Martin Luther King Jr, Cesar Chavez, Angela Davis, and many others have already fought our battles.

But let us not forget that they sparked the movement. The issues that they fought nearly sixty years ago, still exist and plague us today. Do not be fooled into thinking that racism doesn't exist in 2017, homophobia died when marriage equality was granted, that immigration discrimination is no longer an issue, that sexism is a forgotten term, the xenophobia is not real. These are real issues in 2017, and they are staring us in the face everyday.

We, the American people, must continue to counter the government in their persistence to silence us. We are no longer the minority group. We are no longer a small number of Women, Black, Hispanic, Asian, LGBTQ, and Muslim, people. We are a mass number of citizens fighting each day to remain relevant, if not recognized by the United States.

So raise up and let our voices be heard. Fight for the generation before us, who made it possible to use our voices. Fight for our generation now, who are taking to the streets to spread our worth. Fight for the next generation, who will inherit our society one day. Fight for the elderly who had shown us that change needed to happen. Fight for the young adults who are now showing that change is what's happening. Fight the children who will make us realize that change will never stop.

Change is here, change is now, don't let fear falter our strength. Do not hide behind blinders. See that the world is not all that different from the world sixty years ago.  So go out and march today for our rights. If you can't do that, then speak from your social media accounts. Post your support through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, even here on Wattpad. It's 2017, and we can reach corners of the earth we never thought possible before. There is no excuse to remain silent now. So speak up, be heard. Let the world know that you exist, that what you have to say matters, and that we are here for change.

Fight for your brothers and sisters of color. Fight for gender equality. Fight for the right to love any which way. Fight for immigrants seeking out the American dream. Fight for refugees who are finding new homes. Fight for the disabled. Fight for different religions. Fight for what matters the most...fight for the people.

This is our home. United we stand, divided we fall.