Chapter Eight

Logan

I couldn't concentrate on anything but my mate's intense fear, which was pouring into me through the mate bond. "Logan. . ." Drake's voice trailed off unsurely. "What?" I snapped, and then grimaced at my reaction. Her terror was driving me insane, but I shouldn't be snapping at the people trying to help me; I knew that.

It was pissing me off that I could feel her fear, but do nothing about it. It made me feel so helpless and weak. I should've been able to protect my own mate; it was my only obligation towards her.

I whirled around to face Drake. "Find her!" I growled, allowing my boiling rage at myself and the situation to finally simmer over the top and flow freely. He nodded, but I didn't miss the almost resentful look of disapproval that he shot me. "I don't know anything about my Luna, Logan. If you want me to find her you need to tell me where to look." Although his words were rough, calloused with pain, I could also she the regret playing on his hardened features, even as he glared at me challengingly. I growled loudly to address his challenge but curtly nodded at his words; I fully understood the issue he was having with me, and I didn't really blame him.

He was absolutely right. I'd only known Alexa for twelve hours. He had only met her a few hours ago, and they hadn't even spoken. "Follow me," I said almost immediately, my eyes darkening in realization and anger at myself. I knew exactly where she was.

Just as we were leaving the house, a truck pulled up. A man, around the same age as the rest of us, stepped out of his truck. His stride was long and confident as he approached me and my pack.

He had messy, light brown hair and two days' growth of a beard on his face. His blue-grey eyes watched me carefully, while only briefly glancing at the wary men surrounding him. Strange.

"Are you the Alpha?" His words were calm and inquiring, his voice deep. I curtly nodded, watching him suspiciously.

Then, his scent hit me. Rot and death, just like in my room. My eyes narrowed and his widened. "Yes, it was me. I was told to bring her back, that she was a petulent child who ran away from home to an enemy pack. I'm sorry, I didn't know--I still don't know--what's going on. I think she's in danger." I growled, barely hearing anything he said before I lunged at him.

The next thing I knew, Drake was pulling me off of the rogue with the help of some of the other pack members.

The rogue made eye contact with Drake, and nodded in appreciation. Drake curtly nodded back, turning to face me. "He was explaining himself before you attacked him," Drake told me.

I turned my attention to the rogue, "Well?" He propped himself up on his elbows, and then began all over again, "I was hired to get the girl." I narrowed him eyes on his face, but gestured for him to continue. "My sister disappeared a few weeks ago. I tracked her down to the pack house in Crescent Moon territory. I couldn't get her out on my own--There's too many wolves there. The Alpha--" He sneered the word Alpha. "He knew I couldn't get her. He's been leveraging her against me--using me to do his bidding with the promise he'd release her after it was done."
He inhaled deeply. "I wouldn't have taken your mate if I'd known. I think she's in trouble. We have to hurry."

"What did you think when you broke in?" I wasn't angry, much. Now, I was just curious.
"She didn't seem hesitant to go, just very scared. She flinched away from me a first, but other than that she didn't seem too worried about leaving. She glanced at the door, and I grabbed her and quickly left."
I believed him. He wouldn't have come back if he didn't think something was off. She hadn't given him any indication that she wasn't a hostage. She had been too scared.

"Why did you come back?" I calmly questioned. Guilt filled his eyes, and I suddenly remembered the horrible fear I had felt from Alexa. "Who did you take her to?" I demanded, fear consuming me.
He bowed his head in shame. "A man, the Alpha." He paused. "She was so scared. . ." I growled. His eyes locked with mine. "I'm sorry. I told her I would fix it." He paused and shrugged, "Here I am."