Chapter Two

(Edited)

As I entered Parker's Diner I kept my eyes glued to the ground and my head tilted down, angled to the left. I hoped no one could see the horrid bruise that decorated the side of my face, and I hoped no one would ask why my head was at such an odd position.

I knew exactly where I was going, so I didn't need to look up, and for that I was grateful. I maneuvered my way around the various tables and awaiting customers, ignoring all of the rude comments and nosy questions until I made it out of the main lobby and into the employee-only hall.

Only then was I brave enough to lift my chin and open the door to Mama Parker's office like a normal person. Of course, it was only because I knew that Mama Parker was the only person back there and that customers rarely ventured into the employee hall.

"Alexa, dear! What happened?" Shock was evident in her usually chipper voice and her usually happy expression as her eyes fell on the right side of my face. I looked away from her, not wanting to see any more than her smile fading.

I knew the routine; she'd ask what happened and who did it, even though she already knew. Her smile would falter and then her warm brown eyes that reminded me so much of a teddy bear would fill up with tears. Her full bottom lip would start to tremble and she'd begin to cry as she hugged me and apologized for all the pain I’d suffered. It was all too heart-breakingly familiar and far too much pain for me to handle, especially today.

I hated upsetting this woman, but I couldn't afford anything to cover up the bruises he gave me, and Mama Parker always insisted I used her make-up. "Dear, are you okay?" She was gently shaking me, and I nodded. I must have spaced out the beginning of her usual speech.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to call the authorities?” She asked.
I nodded, “yes, Mama Parker. They wouldn’t be able to get me out of there fast enough. He’d kill me.” I saw the pain in her expression and had to look away. I couldn’t stand seeing the pain I caused her.
“Okay. . .” I could see her hesitation. I sent her my best reassuring smile,
“It’s for the best,” I told her.
She slowly nodded. her eyes far away as if she were deeply concentrated on something else. "There's foundation in the bathroom, dear," She reminded me, giving me a small smile. I nodded, forcing myself to return her smile although, I think it looked more like a grimace rather than a smile.

"Can I borrow it for school tomorrow?" I asked her. Reluctantly, she nodded.

I was just about to turn away and head towards the bathroom, but Mama Parker's voice rang out, stopping me in my tracks. "Alexa, just say the word and I'll call the authorities. You can come stay with me for a few days while we go through the legalities." She paused, her eyes trained on my face, or maybe the bruise on it. Either way, I'm sure she was watching as the conflicting emotions played out through my expression. “You don’t have to see him while they’re investigating.” Tears welled up in her eyes. "Sweet baby, you shouldn't have to experience that." She pursed her lips together, "Let me help. I hate seeing you in pain." The emotion was so strong in her voice that it brought tears to my eyes.
"I can't, Mama Parker." The tears were falling freely, now. "Thank you for the help," I told her stiffly, hating that I'd allowed myself to cry.

I quickly left, no longer feeling brave or confident. With tears still streaming down my face, I roughly pushed the door to the bathroom open, slamming it shut, and locking it behind me.

I went directly to the small cabinet situated above the toilet. After at least fifty times of searching for Mama Parker's make-up, I no longer needed to have the light on to know exactly where to find it.

Mama Parker was a plump woman, but beautiful with her naturally red, full lips and flawless, tan skin. Her hair was naturally wavy and black. It ended at her lower back and had the most perfect shine I’d ever seen. She was almost unrealistically beautiful. If she were my age I certainly would have been horribly self-conscious around her. But, all of her beauty was ruined by the pained expression that was plastered on her face. That expression refused to leave my mind, causing my tears’ flow to strengthen. I shook my head, willing the image to leave my mind long enough for me to do the task I needed to.