8 | Tea for the faint

[Rigmor's POV}

The hearth in the living room was lit as I handed Bilbo a cup of tea, which he took with trembling hands.

"Are you okay, Bilbo?"
He hummed in response. "Thank you."

I smiled a bit. "You're welcome. Those Dwarfs don't know their boundaries when it comes to talking. And behaving well."

Silence fell over us as I sat back on one of the chairs.
"If you... If you are still trying to decide whether to join us or not... Just know that I would really like it if you would tag along."

He smiled at me, tracing the edge of the mug with his index finger.
"You are a kind woman, Rigmor." I smiled and looked at my lap. "It's just that—"

"Ah, Bilbo, I see you feel better again." Gandalf entered the room, holding his pipe between his fingers.

"I'll be all right, let me just sit quietly for a moment." Bilbo mumbled, taking a sip of his tea.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long." Gandalf began. "Tell me, when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young Hobbit who always was running off in search of Elves and the woods, who'd stay out late, come home after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. A young Hobbit who would have liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of the Shire. The world is not in your books and maps, it's out there."

The old wizard pointed towards the window. Bilbo shook his head.
"I can't just go running off into the blue. I am a Baggins of Bag End!"

"You are also a Took. Did you know that your great-great-great-great-uncle, Bullroarer Took, was so large he could ride a real horse?"

The Hobbit's gaze averted to a portrait on the wall and I followed it. A drawing of a chubby, proud looking Hobbit was framed. "Yes..." Bilbo mumbled in acknowledgement, staring in the distance.

"Well he could!" Gandalf exclaimed. "In the Battle of Green Fields, he charged the Goblin ranks. He swung his club so hard it knocked the Goblin King's head clean off, and it sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole. And thus the battle was won, and the game of golf invented at the same time!"

I giggled at the silly story. A fond smile spread over Gandalf's face.
"I do believe you made that up." Bilbo said.

Gandalf walked over to a chair opposite of the Halfling and sat down.
"Well, all good stories deserve embellishment. You'll have a tale or two to tell of your own when you come back."

The Hobbit sighed and seemed to debate all pros and cons for a moment before he looked at the wizard in front of him again. "Can you promise that I will come back?"

Gandalf's eyes saddened as he knew that he could not give his friend the answer he wanted. "No. And if you do, you will not be the same."

Bilbo pursed his lips. "That's what I thought." He placed his empty cup on the table. "Sorry, Gandalf, I can't sign this." He arose and turned to the grey wizard for a second before walking away.
"You've got the wrong Hobbit."

I watched him leave and heard Gandalf sigh.

"You've never lied to me, Gandalf. Hobbits are indeed homely and peaceful."
He smiled, putting his hand on my shoulder.
"That's indeed true, my dear. But I see that you are a tad disappointed, aren't you?"

I nodded, looking at my feet as I stood from my seat.
"Yes. I like him. But if he doesn't feel like it, it's his own choice, so I can't do anything else than to stand completely behind it."

I spotted Myrna a room away, drinking some ale while chatting with Bombur.
"I am going to check up with Myrna." Gandalf smiled.
"Alright."

I walked over to the two, who just seemed to end their conversation.
"Hey Rigmor, you know what's cool? Bombur likes cooking as much as I do!"
Her eyes were shimmering with excitement.
"We are going to share some recipes on the way, and also we will cook every now and then for the Company!"

I smiled a bit. "That's nice."
"Are you okay?" Myrna asked, looking concerned.

I shrugged. "I am just a bit upset that Bilbo won't come with us."
Myrna sighed, putting her arm around me.
"Hey, it'll be okay. He can't defend himself anyways, so it's for the better that he stays safe at home."

I nodded. "You're right." She patted my back and walked away again to speak to Ori, who was sitting all alone drawing something. I sat down on the soft carpet since all the seats were taken and leaned against the wall, a deep sigh leaving my lips.

The room carried a blue haze from the smoke the Dwarfs exhaled.
Suddenly, they started humming. Not annoyingly or something, just gentle, all in harmony as if it was a song they all knew.
My idea turned out to be correct when Thorin softly started to sing.

Far over the misty mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold,

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light.

I sat completely in awe, looking at the men in front of me who just had sung such a beautiful song of their homeland. A yawn crept up and I couldn't suppress it. I covered my mouth with my hand.

"Maybe you should head for bed, lass." I heard a voice next to me. I jumped a bit. "Don't worry, it's just me." Kili said with a toothy grin.
He held out his hand and helped me up.
"Thanks, I suppose."

"Where are you going to sleep?" I snorted without smiling.
"At least not close to you."
"Fair enough. You'll warm up to me soon, you'll see!"

I rolled my eyes. "In your dreams."
I headed over to Myrna again to avoid any further conversation with him.

"Aren't you tired?" I asked her while I unrolled a bedroll I took from a big pile of luggage that the Company had brought with them. We had found a quiet spot away from the Dwarfs close to the dining room.

"A bit." Myrna mumbled, combing her hair with her fingers.
"Oh well. I am going to sleep, I think we need to head out early tomorrow."

She nodded and I lied down, pulling the blanket over myself tightly.
"Goodnight." I said before closing my eyes. I couldn't even hear her wishing me goodnight back.

The following morning, I awoke later than most Dwarfs. They were remarkably quiet while they packed some food in their backpacks. Gandalf was outside with Myrna, I could see them talking through the window.

I tip-toed to the bathroom to prevent myself from waking up any sleeping Dwarfs. I braided my hair and splashed my face with cold water. Refreshed, I walked back to the dining room to pack up my stuff, but my eye fell on a sleeping Hobbit in the other room.

A nagging feeling began to grow in the pit of my stomach.
He was a nice guy, and now he wasn't even coming with us.

Carefully, I walked to the study, which I knew the location of since I accidentally walked into there the night before mistaking it for the bathroom, and took a piece of empty parchment from one of the drawers. With a quill and some ink, I started scribbling down a note.

Dear Mr Baggins,

I don't know whether you have decided already to come or not come with us.
But here is a friendly reminder of yesterday night that I would really like it if you would choose to join us on our journey.
I would like to get to know you
better, and I could really use some extra support if those nasty Dwarfs get on my nerves.
I hope you know what I mean.

Sincerely,
Rigmor

I left it at his dining table so he would see it as soon as he woke up. He was still asleep when Gloin pulled the front door shut.