Chapter 42 ↣ Did it work?

"And we can learn to love again / I never stopped / You're still written in the scars on my heart / You're not broken just bent."

— P!nk, Just Give Me A Reason

↣ ↢

Kathryn

I hadn't really been listening to their conversation, but I sure as hell was now. "I'm sorry," I said, facing Rick. "What did you just say? I couldn't have heard that right."

Rick didn't look at me as he replied. "You heard me."

"What kind of bullshh..." I stopped mid-curse and glanced at Judith.

"Listen," Rick growled, an unexpected amount of anger suddenly in his voice. "Whether you like it or not, you two still work best together. Sending the both of you together gives us the best chance of getting you both back at the end of the day."

"If I don't end up slitting his throat," I snarled.

"You won't do that," Rick replied, calmer now. "Can I count on you to behave?"

I fixed him with a cold stare. "Moderately."

"I'll take it," Rick called as I made my way up the stairs. I didn't look back.

↣ ↢

"Dixon!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs. He stuck his head out of the cell and met my gaze. "Rick's briefing us in five." I didn't wait for a response before walking back to the common area.

I hadn't slept at all. Even now I felt like I might throw up at any moment. Instead of thinking about who I would have to spend most of my time with today, I thought of Judith and Carl. Whatever information I found out today would help protect them. I swung my bow over my shoulder and stood beside the table Rick had spread a map out on.

Taking my holster, I clipped it around my thigh. Rick then handed me a handgun which I secured in it. A wiggle of my right foot confirmed the placing of my knife within my boot. I was ready for any physical threat. I didn't look over as I heard footsteps and my stomach twisted further.

Rick started laying out the plan. It was simple enough. He was taking Michonne and Carl out to his hometown. He knew all the places guns may be hiding out. It was Daryl's and my job to patrol along the main road to the prison, check out the surrounding area as well for anything that might be useful for our cause while staying hidden in the shadows of the trees.

I started walking out the door, footsteps trailing behind me. My ribs gave a faint groan of pain, causing my hand to flutter there for a moment.

"You don't gotta come if you're not good," Daryl said quietly from behind me.

"I'm fine," I growled, taking the turn that led to the backway out of the prison.

I hated to admit it, but despite all that had happened, Rick was right; we still worked well together. As we fled into the forest, there was still an ease as we fought off the surrounding walkers. Halfway through we even found ourselves back to back for a split second before I broke and ran for the treeline.

It felt good to be on the hunt the again, even if I was uncomfortable with the company I was keeping. I had been trapped inside for too long. We were a comfortable distance from the treeline when Daryl pulled at the hem of my shirt and stepped in front of me. I locked my jaw and looked over his shoulder, not daring to make eye contact.

"Kathryn," he started, "we can't spend the whole day like this."

"Maybe you can't. I can." I tried to move around him, but he stepped in front of me once more. Anger swirled in the pit of my stomach along with a pain I would never admit to.