Chapter 13 ↣ How do you know which way?

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."

— Lemony Snicket

↣ ↢

Kathryn

RICK SET A whole bunch of weapons down on the hood of a pickup truck. "Everybody takes a weapon," he said, looking around at all of us. I glanced at the assortment and saw they were all various types of knives; exactly what we needed.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need," Andrea said. "What about the guns?"

I looked over at her. She jutted her hip out in a way that instantly came across as bitchy to me.

"We've been over that," Shane said. "Daryl, Rick, and I are carrying. We can't have people poppin' off rounds every time a tree rustles."

"It's not the trees I'm worried about," Andrea instantly replied.

"Say someone fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it," Shane said firmly.

I raised an eyebrow at Andrea and it took every ounce of self restraint I had not to say something utterly sarcastic.

Daryl cleared his throat. "The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side." He looked over at me. We had established the plan together before anyone else was awake, considering Rick had decided to make us co-captains of this expedition.

I played with the strap on my crossbow as everyone turned their attention towards me. "It's the only landmark she has right now, so it gives us our best chance."

"Stay quiet, stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay within sight of each other," Rick said with a note of finality.

I walked away from the group and went over to the side of the road. I wasn't alone for long. 

Daryl was soon by me as well. I was still pissed at him, and I think the feeling was mutual. Which was fine by me. We didn't say anything to one another, just simply waited for the others to get their things together. I'd be lying if the air around us wasn't thick with tension, but I wasn't about to do anything to try and diminish it. Maybe he'd get the hint I didn't need nor want him around. I was fine by myself.

The sound of my name being called caused me to look up. Carl bounded towards me. "Kathryn! Guess what?"

"What?" I responded.

"I'm going with to find Sophia. I want to be the one to find her," Carl said, puffing out his chest.

I little bit of worry crossed my heart before I casted it aside. "That's great, bud. I'm sure you'll make an excellent tracker."

A big grin crossed his face before he raced off once more. I looked over and saw Daryl was looking at me curiously. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're good with him," he rasped.

"Yeah, so?" I responded not wanting to have this conversation.

Daryl shrugged. "You're not the easiest person to get along with-"

"Take you this long to pick up on that, Sherlock?" I cut him off, hoping to shut him up.

"No," Daryl snapped, his expression then softened slightly as he mumbled, "Just wondering if you ever had one of your own."

I quickly shook my head, and didn't answer as I didn't trust my voice to not reveal any emotion.

Thankfully, I didn't have to say anymore as Andrea and Dale's rather loud conversation could be heard. A scoff escaped my lips. I understood the need to get out. I could halfway relate to what she was saying, but I would've liked to think that if I had people who cared for me, I would give them the gratitude they deserved. Even though Dale wasn't right in taking her choice, at least the action was meant to be selfless and not selfish.