Chapter 19 ↣ What if you're wrong?

"Morning will come / And I'll do what's right / Just give me till then / To give up this fight."

— Bonnie Raitt, I Can't Make You Love Me

↣ ↢

Kathryn

TO SAY DINNER was awkward would be the understatement of the century. As I looked around the table, there was a clear wall that had been put up between Hershel's family and us. I didn't blame him for doing so—I would've done the same thing—but it did nothing to kill the tension in the air. I also noticed there was a wall between Rick and Shane. Maybe Rick had finally put two and two together about Shane and Lori.

"Does anyone know how to play guitar?" Glenn asked in a valiant attempt to cut the tension. I mentally applauded him for that. "Dale found a cool one. Somebody's got to know how to play."

"I, uh, used to play...a little," I said quietly in attempt to help the situation.

Glenn eyes lit up. "Really?"

I nodded. "I haven't played in years, though, not sure how much I remember." I thought I could almost feel a crack in the atmosphere.

"Otis played guitar, too," Patricia said quietly. 

Nevermind.

"Yes, and he was very good too," Hershel then said. Looking over at me he added, "Didn't take you for the musical type."

"The crossbow is misleading," I said lightly. I then saw it: an escape. "Um, do you mind if I take a plate to Daryl?"

"Of course not," Hershel said.

I quickly added a few extra things to my plate and then got the hell out of there. As I walked to Daryl's room, I almost ran into Carol. "Oh, sorry," I quickly said.

"That's fine," she said quietly. She started walking away, but I called her name again.

"If I were you, I would walk very slowly to the dining room."

Carol seemed to understand what I was saying, so I turned and continued on my way. I knocked lightly on his door, and came in once I heard a soft "yeah".

"Just me," I said, walking in and shutting the door behind me with the heel of my boot. "I brought food, which I might've also used as an escape to get away from the most awkward situation I have ever been in."

I set it on the table beside the bed, and then resumed my position curled up in the chair by his bedside. I saw the faintest of smiles across his features before he asked, "That bad, huh?"

"Yeah. Top ten at least." I curled further into the chair. "Social interaction is exhausting."

I heard Daryl chuckle slightly again. "You're right about that. Did you eat?"

"Yes."

Daryl narrowed his eyes at me. "Are you lying?"

"No, I'm not lying." I ate a little, I added in my head.

"Why'd Hershel ask you about eating then?"

"Hell if I know."

"Heads up, Johnson." I barely had time to react as Daryl chucked a roll at me. Luckily, I was able to snatch it before it hit my head. I glared at him, which was only met with a half grin. "Eat."

I glared at him, but nibbled at the bread. He seemed happy with that because he dropped the subject. We sat in silence as I finished the bread, and he finished the plate I had brought him. Daryl then cleared his throat slightly. "Well, you don't have to curl up there if you don't want to. There's room...here if-if you want." He then patted the spot next to him like I had done a while back.