Chapter 11 ↣ Why had I been drinking?

"i don't pay attention to the
world ending.
it has ended for me
many times
and began again in the morning."

— Nayyirah Waheed, Salt

↣ ↢

Daryl

KATHRYN PULLED AWAY, avoiding my gaze. I just saw the lightest shade of pink touch her cheeks before she quickly brushed passed me. I stood there trying to process what had just happened. My thumb brushed my bottom lip as I played the moment over in my head, trying somehow to rationalize it.

Grabbing the whiskey, I took a seat at the table. Confusion swarmed me as I was overtaken by feelings I didn't have names for. So, I did the thing I knew how to do best; I drank.

A little while later, I lifted the bottle to my lips to discover that it was disappointingly empty. Why had I been drinking? Oh, yeah, Kathryn. She kissed me...or did I kiss her? Everything was a little blurry at the moment. I rose to my feet and walked down the hallway leading to the room. As I approached a door, I hesitated a moment. Was this my room? Oh, what the hell.

The door opened with a soft click. Glancing around, a saw a small figure curled up on the couch. I assumed that was Kathryn. She made me feel things, unexplainable things. That bitch. I leaned against the door until another soft click sounded.

I started towards the cot, but a whimper made me freeze. Through my drunken state it took me a moment to discover the whimper was from Kathryn. I decided to ignore it, it was none of my business. Another whimper cut through the air, causing a wave of guilt and sobriety to wash over me. I knew all too well how awful nightmares could be, and it almost seemed as if she had them off worse. Without another second hesitation, I knelt next to the couch.

"Kathryn," I said, placing a hand on her shoulder. She bolted upright with my hand in hers. When she finally looked over at me, she quickly let go of my hand. I hesitated before asking, "You all right?"

"I'm perfect," she said coldly.

Anger flared up in me as I stood up. "Sorry I asked."

"I don't need you to be concerned about me," Kathryn countered.

"Oh, right, I forgot," I fired back, angrily. "You're the tough badass that don't need no one."

"Look who's talking! You're the one with the whole lone wolf act."

"Next time I'll just let you sleep," I said lowly. "Let whatever's causing your nightmares have its fun."

"Fine."

"Good."

Kathryn

I woke up the next morning still annoyed as all hell. Snores filled the air and it didn't take a detective to figure out where they came from. I quickly changed into different clothes and slipped out of our room. When I got to the kitchen, the only people up were Glenn, Lori, and Carl.

"Morning," I said as I sat down at the table.

Glenn meekly waved at me while shushing. "Don't be so loud," he whined.

"Aw," I mocked, "did the little man have too much to drink.

"Don't ever ever ever let me drink again," Glenn moaned.

"I'll keep that in mind," I replied.

T-Dog appeared from the kitchen. "Kathryn, I have coffee and eggs. Care for some?"

"Coffee's fine," I replied with the tiniest smile. I did love coffee. T-Dog handed me a brightly colored mug. I nursed the cup in my hands, the coffee warming my palms. At the sound of footsteps, I glanced up and saw Daryl. I scowled and took a drink of my coffee. People slowly trickled in.