Chapter 19- The First Task

The First Task

he next morning, the atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement. Lessons were to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure… even though they didn’t know.

Time was passing terribly slow, and I couldn’t take the waiting anymore. Although, when luch arrived, I wanted to be back in the morning.

"Potter, the champions have to come down onto the grounds now… You have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," Harry said, standing up, his fork falling onto his plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione whispered.

"You'll be fine!" I added.

"Yeah," Harry said in a voice that was most unlike his own.

He left the Great Hall with Professor McGonagall.

It wasn’t long after when it was time for us to go. I said goodbye to Hermione, who went along with Ron, and made my way to the Hufflepuffs.

“Calm down,” Scott said for the fiftieth time.

“I can’t!” I replied nervously. “Will they be alright? What if-“

I stopped, seeing a beautiful creature being brought. I stared in wonder. It was a blueish-gray… a Swedish Short-Snout most definitely.

“What do you know about it?” Kevin said, since they knew I loved dragons.

“It’s a Swedish Short-Snout. I know about them… Its scales are silvery blue, and its powerful flame is also a brilliant blue color - and hot enough to reduce timber and bone to ashes in seconds. Its attractive skin is much sought after for the making of gloves and shields. Since it rarely comes into contact with humans, the Short-Snout has fewer deaths to its name than most dragons. However, the Short-Snout is nevertheless one of the most dangerous species due to its agile flying and the extremely hot fire that it produces. The Short-Snout tends to be less agile on the ground because of its lack of forward limbs. Whoever got this one’s lucky, since it’s being chained to the ground.”

They also placed a nest with normal dragons eggs… and a golden one. They have to retrieve the egg, and by the way the dragon went to protect them instantly it won’t be easy.

“The first champion to compete, Cedric Diggory!”

I sighed relieved and clapped with everyone.

Cedric walked slowly, looking very nervous.

“Go Cedric!” I shouted confidently, making him turn to me. He smiled and nodded, taking his wand firmly and turning to the dragon. He didn’t hesitate and turned one of the rocks into a Golden Retriever. The dragon instantly went to attack it! It worked! I could barely make out the comments that where being said as Cedric maneuvered his way around the dragon.

Cedric ran at the eggs, and just as he picked up the golden egg, the dragon changed his mind and went for Cedric.

I stood up as the flames where shot out of its mouth, my own mouth hanging open. Please let him be alright!

We all waited in silence, but soon, Cedric’s silhouette was visible holding the egg above his head and I cheered, hugging Kevin as we both jumped up and down. He did it! I sat down relieved. He did it… now Harry.

"Very good indeed!" Bagman was shouting. "And now the marks from the judges!"

The judges gave his marks, but I couldn’t bring myself to pay attention. What dragon would harry get?