IV: Burgers and Coffee

JILL

* Ring ring ring *

Hazel dela Torre calling

Accept          Decline

"Jiiiiiiiiiiill!" A shrill voice came from the other line.

"Good morning to you too, Hazel." I said sarcastically. Not a morning person, remember?

"I'm really really really sorry about last night! Naiwan kita. Are you alright? How did you get home pala?" she asked with guilt evident in her voice.

"Okay naman ako. I was just tipsy lang. My friend gave me a ride home" I told her. The events of last night and the wee hours of the morning flashed back. I couldn't help but smile at the memory of me and Jeric talking all night about the most random of things. At first it was like we were reading questions straight from an autograph book but as the night progressed, we moved past the small talk. We exchanged stories about crazy moments, embarassing ones, and even nonsense things that made the other say "Huh?" or "Ano daw?" It was that easy to talk to Jeric. He wasn't as intimidating as I made him out to be and he was genuinely interested in the conversation. He asked questions and shared some thoughts of his own. The memory definitely switched my mood. Maybe I do have a chance to be a morning person.

Hazel's voice on the other line snapped me out of my flashback. "Buti naman. Grabe I was so guilty when I woke up. Three times na ata akong tumatawag sayo before mo nasagot. I got paranoid na baka di ka pa nakakauwi."

"E ikaw naman kasi, you know that you were going to drive home pa. Why did you drink so much?" I asked her calmly.

She sighed and paused for a long time before answering. "I saw David kasi, with the other girl. Alam kong matagal na kami nagbreak but alam mo yun, the pain is still there e. Kaya ayun. Sorry talaga if I left you."

"You know there's a thing called 'move on' diba? Ewan ko sayo. You're pretty and smart naman. Yun nga lang, nawawala pagdating sa kanya. David's a jerk, okay? Dalawa kayo pinagsabay? Gwapo niya a!" I said with the most sarcastic tone I could muster.

Laughter was the reply I got from the other line. "Baliw ka talaga, Jill. Thanks for understanding. And sorry ulit. Bawi nalang ako sayo. I'll treat you lunch, dinner, or coffee pag napadpad kang Taft."

"No prob. Basta mag-move on ka na from that guy. Ako naaagrabyado e. Joke. Sige, I'll make time to go to Taft for your libre. 'Til six class mo madalas diba?"

"Yup. Let me know when. Sakto, may ipapakilala ako sayo." she said excitedly.

It was my turn to sigh. "Hazel, alam mo namang I don't like those kinds of things. Ang awkward kaya ng mga ganun." I explained to her. Blind dates or even "reto" are just not my thing. There's a 50% chance that the person is praying for the 'date' to end already. And I wouldn't want that for me or even for the guy.

"I know. I gave up on setting you up a long time ago. Ikaw kasi e. Pero basta, matutuwa ka sa ipapakilala ko."

"Bakit, clown ba 'yan?"

"Gosh Jill, ang corny ng joke mo! Nakakairita. Last mo na 'yan a!" she laughed.

"Maaga pa kasi. Not a morning person."

"Huh? Anong maaga ka dyan? Twelve na kaya."

"What?!" I paused to check the time."Oo nga no."

"Ako ba talaga yung nag-pass out o ikaw?" she joked.

"Nauna ka lang magising. I bet you have a hangover right now." I teased her.