Her POV

Her POV

---------------

A heartbreaking loss: Some use it to describe the outcome of the game; some describe it as the victory that never was. A heartbreaking loss, in my own definition, is the feeling that stays with you even after you've walked out of the battleground. It's the feeling that lingers for days and even weeks. It's the feeling of regret and "what if?" but on a grander scale. Sometimes, you just laugh at yourself for making a big deal out of something that most people have already moved on from. You joke around about having a hard time accepting the defeat but the slightly embarrassing truth is, the "what if?" is still there. Like an unannounced visitor, it suddenly trespasses into your thought property line.

When I look back at that faithful day, I can't help but feel a slight tug in my heart. It's not a surge of emotions but it's enough to remind me that it was one of those days that will forever be etched in my mind. The collective feeling I shared with the strangers wearing yellow became some sort of an unexplainable bond, even if I don't remember the faces of the people I sat next to.

You want to hear a joke? I was a Jeric Teng non-believer. "Was" being the main word here. When he was a freshman, I couldn't get what the hype was all about. I watched him play and I almost asked the person next to me: "seriously?!" Yes, he won Rookie of the Year in 2009 but my opinion about him didn't change. In my eyes, he was still overrated. Every time he had the ball in his hand, all I could feel was nervousness. If he could hear my thoughts, he would have gone deaf from hearing "do not take that shot!"

Life has really had its hand on irony. It's one of life's top agenda to prove you wrong about certain people. From 2009 to 2013, that five-year joke is still my favorite. If I could go back in time, I still wouldn't tell my old self about what I am now, no. Instead, I'd get a good seat and some cheese popcorn and watch a comedic scene where the young me would roll my eyes when he doesn't make the shot, as if I knew better. Switching time frames, if it would be the old me going to the future, I don't think the old me will believe what she sees. This is a journey I'd like to take with the old me - how I started from a non-believer, then to a critic, and finally, a fan girl. Yes, I am now admitting to the world that I am a Jeric Teng fan girl.

From being a critic to being a full-fledged fan girl, this is why I have such respect for this guy. His desire to bring glory to the Thomasian community is unfaltering, unwavering, unquestionable. He embodied the so-called "Heart of a Tiger" which makes it fitting to acknowledge and recognize him as "The King Tiger". He has come a long, long way - longer than EDSA northbound and southbound put together. The nervousness I felt back them was replaced with confidence. If he could still hear my thoughts, he would have gone more deaf from hearing "You can do it, Jeric! Take that shot!"

His recovery from his injury is an inspiring one. Just like what he wrote on his Twitter bio, "A minor setback for a major comeback." Borrowing the phrase from Ms. Venus Raj, it was a "major major" comeback. The memory of me being a non-believer never fails to put a smile on my face or when it's a good day, the memory makes me chuckle.

As I captured through my lens the moment he got down on his knees on the court as the final buzzer sounded, I couldn't stop my tears from flowing. He bared his heart out for everyone to see - the heart that never stopped fighting until the end, the heart that every Thomasian was known for. I knew it wasn't just me who wanted to heal the King Tiger's heart. Every Thomasian did. As much as I wanted to reach out to him, to comfort him and say "You did the best you could do. Thank you, captain.", I couldn't. We were separated by barricades, by levels, by steps, and most importantly, we were separated by anonymity. In my case, that is. When our eyes met, I knew it was possible that I wouldn't have that chance again so I offered him the best I could do with my limited chance: a salute. Respect, admiration, and gratitude bundled up in that one gesture. He returned the act, his eyes sparkling sadly from fresh tears. The moment he brought his hand down and looked ahead to the dugout, I knew our moment was over. Even though it lasted for only a few seconds, it was enough to have it tattooed between the folds of my brain.

You want to hear another joke? Well, it's not a joke, actually. Hey, young me from the past, listen up. Jeric Teng is going to play in the PBA and you are going to support him. You're even going to watch him live. It's up to you if you consider this a spoiler or not. Your choice. ;)

--------------------

A/N: Hi, guys! Before anything else, I'd just like to reiterate that this is a fan fiction though there are parts of "Her POV" that are true ;)

So it's not really an update but I guess I could use this chapter to jumpstart the story IF I decide to continue The King Tiger.

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for reading, voting, and supporting this story. I super appreciate it! ♥ *kilig*