To Die For

Chapter 10- To Die For

Caen

I watched the sun peak as it began to rise in the purple morning sky, all thoughts of Calley and the deaths of the villagers momentarily forgotten. No torment to haunt my every waking thought, just utter awe. The sunrise is one of my more favorable times, as was the rising of the moon and the brilliant stars that glittered mysteries. As I sat there listening to the birds chirp their calls in the trees, the squirrels running and jumping from branch to branch, it seemingly looked as if they were trying to climb to the tip top of the trees to watch the pink and orange sunrise; I thought of my mother and the mornings she used to wake me just before the crack of dawn to watch the rising of the sun. In our homeland, the sun had more of a reddish tint then a pink one as the Americas have. All the same, nature in all its beauty is something to be admired and protected.

I couldn't resist the smile that played on my lips, peaceful bliss embraced me with it's loving touch. This is what I now lived for now. I lived to see the next sunrise and the moon and stars in the night sky. I live to seek out the answers that Annette questioned and sought after. The answers to the majestic stars and how they came about. What secrets did they hold? All these questions she sought after I vowed to find answers for — including my own answers I so diligently seek.

I laid on the grassy field for another two hours just staring up at the morning sky. All of the pink painted clouds that floated in the sky had an animal shape about each one of them. I smiled at that and continued to soak in the rays of the sun as they grew warmer. All day I sat there in a relaxed state, deep in thought —content for the moment to watch the world pass me by. Daylight was coming to an end all too soon, and darkness was getting ready to take its place. With the darkness swallowing the sky, night animals came out of their dwellings. Hoot owls hooted into the night, screech owls pierced my skull with their eerie call and deer were roaming about unaware of the dangers that could lurk in the shadows.

I stood up with a sigh and dusted myself off. I took the day to enjoy what the Gods have given me, all thoughts of death and blood — of losing my only sibling to an ancient evil, washed away for the time being as I soaked nature up like a sponge. Time was of the essence... no more distractions. It's time to end this once and for all. I just hope I'm not too late.

***

Calley

I watched as the birds flew away to their little nests in the trees, and the squirrels as they skittered off into the tree trunks carrying acorns in their mouth. These animals have no clue what sort of danger could be lurking about in the night searching for its next meal to consume. Here I was, deadly silent as I crept in the shadows just like a wolf stalks its prey. My expression was set hard as I solely focused on one thing; the man that was unknowingly standing in front of me.

I crouched low to the ground and observed every move the man made. I carefully examined what he looked like, and estimated what sort of strengths he could have... and how beneficial to me he could be. Once I assessed whether or not he was worthy to fight for me, to help guard me and the secret that held me bound, I would take him. I sized him up and down, my inky black eyes taking in what cloth he was wearing. He dressed in particles of cloth--two to be exact, and that led me to believe he had a great deal of  Blood Diamonds. Isn't that what they call their currency here in this dimension?

A man dressed such as he was must surely own an entire village along with cattle and other animals of bargain. His face is youthful looking, he has a sharp jawline, an angled nose that looked almost sculpted. The man's hair is a rusty-red color that flowed down to his shoulder blades. His shoulders and biceps were well defined. Anyone could clearly see the man worked his body hard, especially his biceps and his torso, which held six clearly defined muscles that protruded through his thin garment.