Chaos Ensues

Chapter 4- Chaos Ensues

The voice spoke tauntingly inside my mind as I continued on the path to home. Whispers floated inside my head every so often, speaking of sating my thirst with something more delicious then home made brew.

It should take a whole days journey to reach the village and at the pace I was walking I might be able to make it before dawn. I could not help but to wonder about the voice and why it seemed so... ominous. I knew that I shouldn't trust it, I shouldn't listen to anything it has to say and I shouldn't give into the need to quench my thirst; which was becoming increasingly difficult to control. I had no provisions, no back up if I were to happen upon trouble, and if the worst should happen and I — God forbid — die in the wilderness, it would crush my mother and my baby sister. No, I needed to keep a clear head about me and not think so negatively.

The wind whistling in the trees grew louder, and Owls and other nightlife suddenly became very alive. The owls hooted in what I could describe as fear it sounded like to me, and the deer and other nightlife creatures I stumbled upon began to flee away from me with haste. It was so very strange. Never before have I ever seen creatures screech out in fear or scatter away from me unless I was hunting them and I clearly was not hunting.

It baffled me to no end that I had completely forgot about the voice for the time being. I was hopeful that I wasn't disfigured and that was why the animals were so skittish of my presence, but then again, I knew I didn't look disfigured on the outside. I seen my arms and torso and they looked perfectly normal besides the paleness of my skin and the hardness it had to the touch. Still, that nagging feeling lingered in the back of my mind that something about myself or my appearance is the cause for their sudden disappearance.

"You are no longer the same as you once were. You have transformed into something much more than any mere mortal could ever comprehend."

Creasing my brows in confusion, I debated asking that which was on the tip of my tongue even though I knew better than to entertain the voice. "What do you mean I am no longer the same?" Even though I spoke aloud, I knew the voice could hear me as plain as I could hear it.

"You have become something no mortal on earth will ever be able to take away from you. By stepping into the cave you fulfilled the prophecy that was written down before your time. You are the future. You will change the course of history and make a new one in its wake. You are the new future that was foretold of centuries ago."

"Nonsense! I am not the future of anything, I will not changed the course of history and I am most definitely not part of some... prophecy!"

I could feel my anger boiling on the inside of me. I could feel my cheeks heating with the fires of rage. What the voice was saying just struck the wrong chord with me. It was poppycock. It was completely ridiculous to think that I, a nobody, would ever be able to alter history. I would be a fool to even entertain this moronic notion.

I was so lost in the anger and confusion that I'd lost track of time and somehow I had finally made it home with the moon still shining just as bright as it was when I started on my way towards the village. I knew I made good time on the way back to the village, I just didn't know that more time had passed than I previously suspected. I no longer carried my axe and spear and I did not bring back the deer or wild boar I originally set out to hunt. Mother might be extremely upset with me for that.

My mother, Shaina, has probably worried about my safe return home, and yet, I still have no idea as to how long I had been unconscious in the cave in the first place. It could've been a few hours or a few days, and the way my body felt after coming to again, it felt more like days. The village finally came into my vision and immediately, I saw every villager gathered around, even those from nearby villages were there in the sea of faces.