Chapter Ten| I Could Do Worse And You Could Do Better

I really recommend listening to the song in the sidebar. I think it goes along with Sable and Parker's story perfectly. 

 CHAPTER TEN| I COULD DO WORSE AND YOU COULD DO BETTER

At the moment, I feel like I’m watching Animal Planet. Two lions facing off with each other for dominance. Testosterone is palpable in the air around us making the tension, and silence, even harder to stand. It’s close to a standoff as the Nova’s glare at each other. I stand behind Parker, my hand gripping his back, furious.

 Mr. Nova looks impeccable in his suit and I’m almost disappointed that a top hat isn’t placed upon his dark hair.  He looks like he could have been pulled straight out of the fifties. What’s even more shocking is just how much the two Nova’s look a like. It’s uncanny, really, and I wonder if it makes it harder for Parker to hate him. Looking so much like a man who treats you like the dirt he walks on.

 “We need to talk, boy.” His father says, the wrinkles in his forehead deepening.

 “I have nothing to say to you.” Parker’s more uncomfortable than I’ve ever seen him.

 His father shakes his head. “S’not up for discussion, boy.”

 I’m fuming from behind Parker and I can’t stop myself from getting involved with it. “You’re a piece of shit.” I yell at his father, my teeth grinding together. Parker pushes me back behind him, silently telling me to be quiet. His father looks at me with disgust, a look I’m sure he wears on a regular basis. “You oughta watch what you say, little girl.”

 “Are you threatening me?” I ask.

 “I’m warnin’ ya.”

 “You son-of-bitch!” I yell, moving around Parker to lunge at his father. I don’t get very far, in fact I don’t even get around Parker before he’s blocking me, rage filled blue eyes looking in to mine.

 “Shut up, Sable, I got this.” He says quietly, running his hand down my arm, sending shivers through me. Not the time, Sable.

 “You better keep a handle on your bitch, boy.” I don’t know if he’s calling me a dog or just being a jerk, but by the way Parker whips around to face him, I know he’s not gonna get away with it.

 “You leave her alone.” Parker growls.

 His father scoffs. “Whattaya gonna do about it, boy?”

 “Sable. Leave.” I shake my head. “No.” Parker looks over his shoulder at me and I know I have no other choice but to walk out that door leaving him alone with this monster. “Sable. Leave now.” I try to plead with him but he gives me a stern look and without really thinking about it, I’m walking backwards towards the ballroom door, leaving him. I watch the doors shut, panicking inside.

 Please be okay. Please be okay.

I wait outside of the door but over the idle chatter and the orchestra I’m deaf to whatever is going on behind the large wooden panel. The women that had been eyeing Parker earlier give me condescending looks as I wait, making me extremely uncomfortable. I count the minutes that pass as I anxiously pace by the door. I’m about to open the doors when they come flying open. Parker grabs my hand and drags me to the valet before I can even speak. He tips the valet when they pull his car around, refusing to let me look at him, not that I’d even be able to see him in the darkness. He opens the passenger door for me hastily, turning away when I stop to look at him with a worried gaze. I slip into the bucket seat and cringe when he slams the door shut and walks around to his side.