Chapter Two| Bad Boy Complex

CHAPTER TWO| BAD BOY COMPLEX

It starts with a small whine. Then the darkness that had wrapped itself around me only hours earlier is replaced by a light. A light so bright, if I look at it too long my eyes could possibly melt right out of their sockets.

I squint my eyes as the other set of curtains are pulled open. "Come on Sable, the suns up, you should be too." She whines again as I pull my comforter over my head. I hear her stomp her feet, the five year old in her revealing herself, before a cold pair of hands take hold of the only warmth I have and yanks it to the floor. "Sable. Wake up! I need you to be my wing girl, okay?"

With a groan I sit up, wiping the sleep from my eyes, before looking at Noella with furrowed brows. "'Wing girl'? Since when do you need a 'wing girl'?" She shakes her strawberry blond curls over her shoulder as she searches through my closet. "Since Alex insists that I go hang out with him and his friends and since I don't want to be alone with three dumb teenage boys, I need you as my wing girl." She takes a small dark blue dress off its hanger and shows it to me. I shake my head. "Not wearing it." Noel rolls her eyes before turning back to my clothes.

"If he's so dumb why are you so interested in him?" Turning towards me she gives me a look as she places her hands on her hips. "Because he's sweet and nice and all boys are dumb, you know that."

The front doors slams shut from down stairs and Noel and I turn our attention towards my open door, waiting. When he finally walks by my heart tightens. He looks like shit, his brown hair long and tangled, his skin looks pale and sickly and from across the room I can see the dark circles under each dark brown eye. "Nolan?" I call his name out softly and as he stops in my doorway, I'm half shocked he even heard me.

"Yeah?" His voice sounds strange to me, like he's aged ten years. Noel eyes me, pushing me to speak. "Are, uh, you okay?" His expression stays completely the same. "I'm great. Haven't been better." I nod. He walks away after that, shuffling his feet across the carpet as he makes his way to his room down the hall. I cringe when his door slams shut seconds later.

Noel says what I'm thinking. "He looks like shit." I nod, before grabbing the knit sweater in her hands. "Lets get out of here." She watches me with sad eyes as I finish getting ready.

~~~~

We walk through the crowded boardwalk towards the cove. Noel walks with her hands in her pockets, her gaze directed to the ground as if it is the most interesting thing shes ever seen. "Whats on your mind?" Her eyes flicker up to mine quickly. I give her a look before she can deny anything. Finally she sighs. "Do you think Nolan will be okay?" Her question surprises me. "Don't look at me like that Sable. You know I care for him." I did know.

"I hope so. I miss him." She nods. "Me too."

Our conversation ends as soon as Noel spots Alex. Her cheeks flush and she pulls me towards a small group of guys. Alex, in his 6' foot, blond hair, blue eyed glory, stands with two others. One is maybe 5'8 with short curly hair that sticks up in random spots, and as we walk closer, his bright green eyes light up. "Well I'll be damned, she actually showed up and she brought a friend. Hi friend." Noel laughs at the boy as Alex pulls her into his side. "Hi, Motley." He gives her a pointed look towards me.

"Motley, Sable. Sable, Motley." I wave at him as Motley grins cheekily. "You okay, Park?" Alex's gaze is fixed behind me. My cheeks burn as I turn around and take in the tall, stormy eyed boy standing behind me. Parker stands with a cigarette hanging loosely between his long fingers, a mix a confusion painted into his features. Suddenly his expression changes and he's shooting me his trademark crooked grin. I'm close to melting into the rocks under my feet as he speaks.

"We meet again, darlin'."

"Wait. You guys know each other?" I look back at Noel, ready to answer, but Parker answers before I have the chance. "She found me by Jebb's a couple weeks back. She let me use her lighter." I feel everyone's eyes on me. After a few minutes, Motley speaks up. "Well, to decrease the awkward tension, shall we get going? You know, down to the cove?" Alex answers with a laugh before taking off down the rocky path, Motley trailing behind him.

I can feel Noel's eyes as Parker walks by me. "Nice seein' ya again, darlin'." All I can do is nod as he follows the other two boys down to the cove.

"Don't even think about it, Sable." I turn towards Noel who stands with her arms crossed over her chest. "Excuse me?" She sighs. "Sable, I know you heard me." I shake my head, completely confused. "I heard you, yeah, but that doesn't mean I understand why you said it."

She walks towards be, placing her hands on my shoulders. "He's a handful, Sabe, I don't need you getting hurt by some guy because of your bad boy complex." I close my eyes and sigh. "There is nothing go-" She cuts me off. "You can go ahead and deny whatever you want, but I saw the way you blushed and I saw the way he looked at you. Not to mention the fact that he talked to you!"

This catches my attention. I narrow my eyes. "What do you mean?" She smirks at me. "I've hung out around him more than a handful of times and not once have I heard him talk." I roll my eyes. "Maybe he's shy." "Yeah and maybe its Maybelline." I glare at her. "What I'm saying is he likes you and... I don't know what that means with someone like him."

"I'm a big girl." I make my way to where the boys are. Noel calls to me as I leave her behind. "Just be careful!"

An hour later I'm sitting on a cold log as Alex, Noel and Motley attempt to start a bon-fire.

"She told you to stay away from me, didn't she?" Parker sits down next to me, his elbow brushing against mine. "How'd you know." He chuckles. "I think I might have offended the princess." I look up at him as he takes a long drag off his cigarette. "She thinks you like me because you talk to me." He raises his brows. "Yeah. Apparently, you haven't talked once since she started hanging out around you."

"Well, I haven't talked around her and I do like you. So she's not lyin'." Heat finds its way back to my cheeks. "And by the way you start blushin' every time we talk, I figure you like me to." I swallow loudly. "I'll take that as a yes?" I smile, looking out towards the ocean. "Take that anyway you like."

Chills wrap their arms around my spine as he whispers into my ear. "You can make me chase you if you want. In fact, you can make me do whatever you please, darlin'." Something stirs in my stomach and Parker rises to his feet with that stupid crooked grin on his lips.

"Lucky for you, I like stubborn." I watch him watch my cheeks flush a deep, dark, red before he winks at me and makes his way over to the others.

Lucky for me, indeed.