Chapter Two: The Transaction

Supergirl was careful to muffle her landing on the balcony of Lena's office. Through the glass, she saw Lena's feet shake rhythmically under her chair, but there was no sign that she was aware of the Kryptonian's arrival. She hummed to a song that Supergirl couldn't recognize while she typed away at her laptop. Her secretary, Jess, was nowhere to be seen, but Supergirl didn't doubt that she was on the premises. The Kryptonian caressed the edges of her cape with her free hand, the other holding the black case. She turned her back on the glass window, her gaze scanning the city around her. Sure enough, there was no shadowy mist following her footsteps− only the illuminated windows of the sleeping city shone down on her. Of course, Supergirl expected Lena to be hard at work while the moon shone above her office window. But they hadn't spoken since Lillian Luthor's arrest just a few days before, so she wasn't sure what to expect.

Lena's chair was empty when she turned back to the office. The CEO leaned against the open door to the balcony, her arms crossed. She wore a black silk blouse with a red skirt, her hair put up in a bun. A few strands of black hair stuck out, and her eyebrows fluttered from what Supergirl assumed was a lack of sleep. Despite this, her eyes were alert and piercing, as if she was trying to read the Kryptonian's mind.

"It's good to see you again," Lena smiled, "Come on in, it's cold out here."

"That's not really an issue for me, but thanks," Supergirl joked, following Lena into the office. Her cape billowed at a gust of wind, and she had to pull it close to her body so that it wouldn't get caught in the glass door. Lena closed it behind her, her posture relaxing.

"Any news about my mother?" Lena questioned, moving back to her desk. She didn't sit down, but leaned into her desk. Supergirl had to keep reminding herself to stand tall− she could look too much like her counterpart if she didn't maintain her hero persona.

"That's why I'm here," Supergirl sighed, shaking her head, "This must be hard on you, I'm... I'm sorry about what happened. And how I treated you when I found out about your mother. What you did... that was amazing."

"And I'm sorry I got upset with you when you told me," Lena reassured her, "You did the right thing by talking to me. It all worked out in the end."

"No, it didn't. Your mother is in jail, Lena," Supergirl asserted.

"It's fine. I should have seen it coming," the Luthor pointed out. Her gaze dropped from Supergirl's as if she couldn't look at her.

"There's more to it," Supergirl told her. Lena's eyes shot up, and the Kryptonian slid the black case across the table. Lena caught it before it fell over the edge. The case clicked as she opened it, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Earpods?"

"Lillian let loose her personal experiment after she was incarcerated. Like a last resort. It kills humans by messing with the chemicals in their brains, and there's a good chance it's after you. Those will keep you safe."

"How do you know it's after me?" Lena questioned. She leaned away from her desk, seemingly alert.

"It attacked me last night," Supergirl confessed. Lena's eyes widened with worry. She continued, "It's designed to torture aliens like me, too. Even if you aren't a target, all my friends are at risk."

"Oh my god−"

"If it gets hold of my secret identity, it's over. I can't stay at my base of operations anymore. It's too risky."

"So you're a fugitive?" Lena asked. Supergirl nodded, though the word fugitive made her stomach feel sick. Lena tilted her head, raising her chin to look up at her. Supergirl felt conscious of how tall her boots made her appear compared to the CEO.