Chapter Seven: The Girl

Kara was against the idea of buying the motorcycle, at first. Lena's eyes were huge when she spotted the black chopper sitting in the parking lot, a red sale sign hanging from its handlebars. Supergirl objected to Lena driving it at the crack of dawn. Luckily for her, the ran-down tire shop that displayed the motorcycle was closed until seven. So there they sat, against a pine tree at the back of the shop, watching the Sun rise. Lena fell asleep at some point− Kara couldn't tell when. It was comforting, watching her chest rise and fall as the orange morning hues gave way to a clear blue sky. The Sun was all the Kryptonian needed to wake up, so she was content with watching the world wake up with her. By the time the shop was open, Lena was rubbing her eyes to welcome the morning.

"How long was I out?" the Luthor muttered, propping herself up against the trunk of the pine tree. Kara kept her arm around her shoulders, tucking her in with her red cape.

"A few hours," Kara replied, shaking her head, "You know I can fly you to the next town, right?"

"We'll be less suspicious this way," Lena pointed out, "And I've been meaning to treat myself to a new motorcycle for the past year."

"A new one?" It still blew Kara's mind that a millennial like Lena could afford things like this.

"I had one in college, but a friend of mine totaled it. I used to ride it everywhere," Lena's looked out into the distance, as if reminiscing life on the road.

"Sounds like you miss it," Kara pointed out.

"Not after I get this one," Lena spoke, smiling up at the alien. She kissed the Kryptonian's cheek before getting up. Once Lena was around the corner, Kara changed into her reporter disguise, taking a few tries making her ponytail without a mirror. Adjusting her glasses, Kara leaned against the back wall of the tire shop, listening as Lena bargained with a baffled store owner. Soon enough, the engine roared to life, and Lena came out with the motorcycle around the corner. She killed the motor, leaning the motorcycle towards Kara as she lifted her black helmet visor. She had a white helmet under her arm, pulling it out and offering it to the Kryptonian.

"I'm guessing you don't need this?" She joked.

"No, no, I think I'm good," Kara laughed. Lena tossed it in the grass as Kara hopped on, wrapping her arms around Lena's waist.

"Usually I'm the one flying people around," Kara spoke.

"Then you should enjoy the ride," Lena teased, flipping her visor down. She revved the engine and turned the corner through the soft grass, wheels hitting the asphalt. Before Kara knew it, the two of them were speeding down the empty freeway. They followed the Sun as it rose; the small town gave way to endless fields, with the occasional cluster of cows observing them from the road. Kara's blond hair tangled in the wind, as if she were flying through National City. It surprised her that this didn't scare Lena like flying did− perhaps it was because she was in control, tied down to the motorcycle. Or Lena enjoyed the thrill of it, the adrenaline that riding gave her. Kara had to admit, being on the road made her feel warm during otherwise cold flights. Sure, the wind still blew in her face, but she could put her chin on Lena's shoulder and hug her tighter if need be.

Kara needed to stretch once they reached the border of the forest. One downfall to being a superhero was that she couldn't sit still in one place for that long. Not like Lena, who still maneuvered the motorcycle with ease. With the pines towering over them, they were hidden enough to have some fun.

"RACE YOU!" Kara yelled through the wind, letting go of Lena's waist and flying off of the vehicle. She was the girl in the red cape in an instant, rocketing towards the motorcycle before her body could hit the asphalt. Supergirl could hear Lena laughing through her helmet. Lena's body leaned into the motorcycle, shooting down the road at a speed that Supergirl knew was far past the limit. The Kryptonian extended her arms farther to speed up. Her fists clenched to make her knuckles turn white. Kara didn't have the guts to show how easy it would be to beat Lena at a race, so she stayed side-by-side with the chopper. Kara was certain that Lena was aware of her inevitable defeat, but that didn't stop her from focusing on the road or gaining momentum. Time slowed down for both of them. Pines and firs shuddered as they zoomed by, heralding their presence in the otherwise silent forest. The hiss of the wind and their giddy laughing were the only sounds to assail their ears. If only Supergirl could have the power to freeze time, she would use it now.