Chapter Six: The Revelation

Kara ran to the body closest to her, a young man in a suit sprawled near the entrance. There was no blood, and when Kara listened with her super hearing, no pulse. In fact, there was not a single heartbeat within earshot. She flipped the body over, searching for injuries. Still, there wasn't a scratch of evidence, not until Supergirl noticed the space above his ears. Little blood dribbled out as if he had scraped his head on both sides. His hair was pressed down in five spaces, resembling fingerprints. Kara raced to the next dead employee, a receptionist slouched against the desk. Sure enough, the same ghost hands had touched her, leaving behind five distinct scabs.

The metahuman had arrived twenty-four hours early.

The placard marking the staircase was in the corner of her eye. She sped through the staircase as fast as her feet would carrying her. Considering the seconds it took to reach the top, she had to question herself if the Flash had assisted her to the top floor of L-Corp. But all thoughts of help ceased as Kara ripped open the emergency door. Sirens went off, but they were hardly noticeable compared to the silence that filled the hallway. Jess was absent from her desk, thank Rao. That's what the metahuman got for attacking L-Corp during the weekend. But still, all those people downstairs− Kara could count at least twenty in her head− should she have seen it coming? The Kryptonian looked behind her, noticing that she used excessive force on the door, bent and shoved into the corner wall.

Amongst the wailing sirens, one heartbeat rang loud and clear on the top floor. It pounded in Kara's ears along with erratic breathing.

Lena was alive.

Kara was in her office before she knew it. The CEO was focused on her laptop before the Kara walked in, but she immediately jumped up at her sudden appearance. Her bright green eyes pierced Kara like daggers, her mouth dropping in shock.

"Kara?" Lena began to approach her, "Kara, what are you doing here?!" Kara wrapped her arms around Lena, making the other woman freeze. She relaxed into the hug, wrapping her arms around Kara's waist.

"I'm sorry," Kara spoke, "I−I came to surprise you. I had no idea... I should have seen this coming. I should have." Over Lena's shoulder, she could see the security footage on her computer screen. There wasn't a single sign of life− bodies piled up on the lower levels of L-Corp.

"How could you have?" Lena tried to be optimistic, "What's done is done. Nobody can fix this."

"I know," Kara tightened her grip, "I wish I could do something."

"Nothing to do but wait," Lena insisted, "The police should be up here soon."

"The police?" Kara pulled back, catching Lena by surprise, "No, we can't do that!"

"Why not?" Lena stuttered.

"That was a warning!" Kara explained, "It'll just kill the police if we're still here. The longer we stay, the more we endanger National City."

"God, you're right," Lena ripped open one of the drawers to her desk, flipping through her papers, "You need to get out of here before it comes back." Identifying a few important documents, she folded them before stuffing them into the pockets of her coat.

"I'm coming with you!" Kara insisted, putting her hands on the opposite side of Lena's desk. The other woman's gaze snapped to her, green eyes so intense that Kara felt herself backing away.

"Why the hell would you do that?!" Lena challenged her, "I'm a fugitive! I can't let you get hurt!"

"Lena, there's something I need to tell you−" Kara's super hearing broke her attention. The shuffling of several pairs of boots made her turn away from the other woman. A door slammed from the bottom floor, loud enough to make the Kryptonian flinch.