Chapter One: The Metahuman

St. Patrick by PVRIS (Kara's Theme)

A sister's night was exactly what Kara Danvers needed. A huge weight had been lifted off of her chest since the arrest of Lillian Luthor, but she didn't have the chance to reflect until now. She didn't even bother with changing into her normal clothes− besides, it was comforting to her when she ran her fingers through her cape. Her whole body flopped onto the couch, with some protest from Alex. Nevertheless, her sister joined her. Kara felt the warmth of her Alex's arm around her shoulders, and she took a deep exhale. Stress from the previous day began to ebb away as she let her head fall into her sister's shoulder. Finally, Kara was in the present; she noticed the way the rain thrummed against the window, or the way her sister's stomach rose when she took a breath. Her eyelids fluttered in protest to her tiredness, be she willed them to stay open.

"I got pot stickers and ice cream. Which first?" Alex questioned.

"Ice cream. I could use the sugar," Kara grinned.

"Dessert before dinner?" Alex teased, "Alright, you deserve it after last night." She rose from the couch, making Kara shift her weight and look towards the dining table. Steam rose through the bag that sat in the center, the aroma of fresh pot stickers consuming the apartment.

"I really thought we were going to lose Lena," Kara pointed out, "I'm glad I was wrong." She leaned her head against the couch, her eyes glued to the ceiling. She used her x-ray vision to see past it, revealing the stars above her. Light pollution prevented her from seeing the whole Milky Way, but she could just see Rao's red tint near the flat screen TV. Memories of learning star charts on Krypton flooded her mind, and a deep surge of guilt filled her chest at the thought of Krypton. Perhaps she'd go out to the countryside one day and see how many stars she could remember. But for now, she was content with watching Rao float through the heavens.

That inner peace escaped her as she felt something oily grip her throat. Kara's gaze broke from Rao to see a black hand wrapping around her neck from out of the shadows. She tried to take a gulp of air, only to make a guttural sound. Kara grabbed its wrist, only to grasp the air around her. The creature had her pinned to the couch, despite her attempts to shake it off. One of the fingers seeped through her hair, and the image of her mother was fixated into her mind.

"SUPERGIRL!" her sister shouted. She heard the crack of a gun, and a bullet flew through the dark mist. The creature flinched, letting go of Kara. As she gasped for air, the hand morphed into a single eye, blinking back at Alex. The shadowy mass lurched for her sister before Kara could react. It transformed into a massive hand again, but this time it gripped its fingers onto Alex's head. Her sister's eyes rolled back, and her hands went limp. The gun clattered to the floor of the apartment, and Kara watched Alex's eyes roll back. Kara screamed her sister's name, heat pouring out of her eyes before she could think. The lasers hit the creature's wrist, and it shifted into a giant mouth to screech out in pain. Alex's body went limp when the creature let go of her, making her hit the floor with a thud. The mouth shifted into a black gas, fleeing through the window as if taken by the wind. Kara was left with her sister, lifeless on the floor with blood pooling from behind her ears.

"Come on..." Kara fretted, racing to Alex's side. She gripped the sides of her sister's face, shaking it to wake her up. But her body was still except for her racing heart. Kara gently picked her up, hanging on to every beat. She crept through the open window that the creature had left behind, carefully balancing on the windowsill.

"I'm taking you to the DEO. Hang on, okay?" Kara spoke to her, despite knowing that she couldn't hear her. She pushed her red boots into the wall of the building, using it to push off into the air. The skyscrapers of National City raced by her, but she clung to her sister as if she were a lifeline.