On the run with a horse

Author Note- I haven't ever used wattpad before, so this will be the first story I intend on writing and completing. This is not even based on a true story.

So now before you're bored to death I'll start typing. 

           Chapter one.

I am twelve. My name is April. And  I have to visit my horse, Sophie, to see if she's okay. Slowly I slunk down the stairs. Down the hall and into the kitchen. Its lit by a the dim digital clock on the microwave. I move towards my book bag. I empty its contents and put in a few bottles of water. Next I put in some granola bars and some apples and carrots.

      But I have to be quiet. If I wake my father, he'll beat me. I have to go! Sophie was mine. He had no right to take her. Wait....What was that.... That sound...It sounds like rustling sheets and footsteps....I woke him! I ran and ran fast. Out the door down the gravel driveway. Stone skittered my sneakers slipped, but I caught myself in time. There, my bike! Grabbing the bike and jumping on in one fluid motion I pedaled down the road, to the one place he will never go.

     A stable. Wheres the closest one?? It's Pine Meadows, right? Come on, Come on, Only a few miles to go. No! He took the truck I can hear the engine. In a split second I make decision, I am not going back there. Turning hard, I skid the bike into a brake and run for the woods.

     I can hear my father yelling from the woods. I almost shiver to think what he would do if he found me. I hear a door slam and run. Luckily these woods are huge. The northen California redwoods loom above me. They seem like beasts in the dark.

      That night it is terribly cold. When I begin to think it cant get worse, snow whorls of the treetops. I begin to walk through the woods. Soon I see a little  grove of trees sheltered from the snow and wind. There I lay plagued by terrible dreams. My mother being killed over and over, the stallion charging again and again. They all began peacefully with her and I riding our horses bright green grass. She was laughing and her bay gelding Poco trotting, I would pick up to a trot and follow. Then over and over the stallion would charge protecting his herd.

      The dreams woke me up. When I woke I decided to visit Sophie. As I walked unbidden bits of memory flash by. My father beating poor Poco, me yeling at him to stop, him cracking the whip at me. Then him selling Sophie to that man with his eyes showing no affectinon like she was no more than a dollar sign. 

     Finnally I reach the stable. I creep inside sudunnly hearing a frantic neighing. FIrst I duck into a tack room, then I slink down one aisle to the next. The neighs get louder and higher pitched. I walk quietly a long till I get to the stall. A man is yelling with a whip raised.

     Looking into the stall my heart jumps to my throat. Its Sophie her eyes wild with fear and rearing. Her body was dark with sweat and little cuts show along her back. A burst of fury races through me so strong its all I can do not to run out and punch her tuxedoed tormentor. I restrain myself knowing its not a fight I can win.The whip lashes out and she neighs a sound so frightful sounding Its all I can do not to run to her. The man just grins evilly "Well you shouldn't have thrown him"

    He never saw the shovel coming. I whacked him in the head so hard he's unconscios. A few stable boys come running toward the sound. One thought races through my mind. She is coming with me, no matter what.