Seven

"Maddy, do you have the plane tickets pulled up?" I ask, walking through the airport.

She nods, putting her phone in front of my face for proof. I nod, hauling the bags across the floor.

I stop at a seating area, sitting down with everyone. I look up at the gigantic clock on the wall. Our plane boards at 6:25pm and it's only nearing 5.

I glance around.

"Let's grab something to eat." I say, standing up and walking to the little shop part of the airport.

A McDonald's and a Starbucks stand in the area. I order coffee from Starbucks and settle on some pancakes from McDonald's.

Yeah, it's late. But I'm really wanting pancakes.

"What do you want?" I ask Olivia as we stand in line, watching Maddy and Mason order.

"I got it." She smiles, holding up her wallet.

"No." I shake my head, pushing her to the counter to make her order. "I got it."

She smiles as she turns around and tells the cashier what she wants. I stand by her, paying the amount of $36.67 at the register. I go and find a spot to sit and wait on our number to be called.

281.

"Where are we going?" Olivia asks, taking a seat beside me.

"I don't know." I shrug. "Probably stay with close relatives until we can find a place."

"Relatives?" Maddy asks, looking up from her phone and furrowing her eyebrows.

"Mom was from America." I say. "Her whole family lives in America. We just have to find out where they live."

"How are we going to do that?" Maddy asks. "America is huge, Darcy!"

"I thought mom hated her relatives." Mason concludes. "She said that they betrayed her and-"

"Guest 281." The counter calls out and I stand up, going to get it. Olivia comes to help me carry it.

When I return at the table, everyone grabs their stuff and I Munch down on my nuggets, eyeing my pancakes to make sure nobody touches the fluffy things. I'm eating that next.

"I don't know, Mason." I say, trying to let him know that I haven't forgot about what he said. "It's our only chance. If it's sketchy, we will leave."

And for the next 25 minutes, it's silence.

~•~•~

"How on earth are we going to find them, Darcy?" Maddy sighs, catching up to me as I walk down the streets.

"I don't know, Maddy!" I say, getting tired of her asking. "We have to take the bus until we can buy a car, don't you think that's bad enough? I'll figure something out."

"I have something." Olivia says, holding her hand in her bag.

I look over to her, curious as to what she has. She pulls out a folder, and hands it to me. I take it.

"It's your file." She says and I furrow my eyebrows, clutching onto the folder while continuing to walk.

"How did you get this?" I ask, stopping at a bus stop.

"I did some dirty work." She smirks. "I know my ways around."

"Oh, wow." I sigh, sitting down at the benches and opening the folder, seeing a picture of me on the front and my description. "When did you get this?"

"Not too long ago. About a week ago, if that." She says, sitting next to me along with Maddy.

I look through the folder, reading everything.

Needs to be placed in an orphanage.

Unfit family?

What? I don't understand.

Darcy Anne Styles was born on May 8th, 1998.

Parents are divorced.

Shows signs of emotional trauma.

What the hell is this? I always remembered my childhood happy and cheerful.

I look up at the date.

August 1st, 2003.

I would've been 5, surely I would've remembered if something tragic happened. I would have. I don't remember anything about.... A divorce?

When did that happen? Mom and dad never mentioned anything about a divorce!

"Are mom's relatives in there?" Maddy asks, breaking my thoughts.

I flip through a few pages, to the last filing of papers.

Sister- Mandi Addams- Deceased.

Brother- Mark Addams- Currently lives in Oakland, California. Has one daughter who is age 9, Cierra Addams. Married to Abigail Addams.

Mother- Currently lives in a retirement home in Los Angeles, California.

Father- Deceased.

Nobody. Nobody else on this fucking earth except for one person is here in California and has an actual place! I remember my mother speaking of Mark when I was younger, but it kind of died down since they didn't really talk to each other after she had Mason.

They used to be best friends, really. Brother and sister, they were goals. She would tell us about how one day, she came home crying because she thought she was pregnant. And he stayed home with her, went to the Drs. With her. She wasn't pregnant, but I thought it was so kind hearted of him.

I haven't seen him in years, and the picture on the paper does not even look like him.

This guy has a tux on, his dark hair slicked back. Whereas, the older one would show up to the movies in sweats. Haha.

"We have to find him." I say, pointing to his picture, having everyone take a look.