Chapter Fourteen

So guys, my uploads may become less frequent from now on, because I'm going to be quite busy over the next two months, but I promise to do my absolute best :D The picture on the side shows Blake and Beth's dresses, sorry about the logo on Blake's, but I couldn't find any other pictures of that dress in that colour. The song is Anchor by Mindy Gledhill :D

Enjoy :D

************************************************************************************************************

     The next day was Debby’s graduation. Michael had thankfully remembered to bring a suit and tie, so that he could dress up for the occasion. When he came down from his room he found Dee and Blake in the living room, both wearing beautiful dresses. Dee had gone for the classic, plain black dress, whereas Blake was wearing a loose brown one, that really suited her.

     ‘My, my someone’s looking dapper today,’ Blake complimented him, crossing her long legs.

     ‘You two look great too,’ he told them. He ran his hand through his hair and adjusted his tie slightly. ‘What about Beth?’

     ‘Oh, she’s Beth,’ Dee told him, waving a hand. ‘She takes forever to get ready.’ Michael smiled and just listened as the two resumed their previous conversation. Looking at them he thought that they looked more like mother and daughter than Beth and Dee did, if only because of the blonde hair. He could only presume that Beth had got her dark hair from her father, but he couldn’t remember what he’d looked like. Obviously he’d met her father many times when he was a kid and still living in St. David’s, but after he moved away Dee and her husband had got divorced. Then, during Michael’s stay three years before Beth’s dad had been in hospital dying of cancer.

     Beth finally appeared, wearing a beautiful cream coloured dress with layers giving it the effect of a flower. Dee jumped up, throwing her hands in the air.

     ‘Finally!’ she cried. ‘Can we go now? We don’t want to be late.’

     ‘Thanks, mum, you look nice too,’ Beth teased, grabbing her black leather jacket and slinging it over her shoulders.

     ‘I think you look great,’ Michael told her, leading the party towards the front door.

     ‘That’s my girl,’ Blake said, putting her arm around her and kissing her on the cheek. They exited the house, then stopped, looking at the driveway. Three cars were lined up there: Beth’s white mini, Michael’s red Volvo, and Dee’s silver Nissan.

     ‘Who’s driving?’ Beth asked. No one said anything, and they all looked at Dee.

     She laughed. ‘Why do I have to be the non-drinker just because I’m old?’ she joked, going back into the house to get her keys.

     They piled in and did the drive to Debby’s school in Haverfordwest in record time. The car park was full to bursting and they had to drive around for a few minutes before they found a space.

     They entered the canteen, where Debby’s entire year and all their families were milling about drinking champagne. They spent a little while trying to locate her, but found her eventually accompanied by her parents and Rob.

     ‘Nick!’ Dee greeted Debby’s father. ‘You made it back. Debby didn’t tell me you were coming.’ She kissed him on each cheek, slightly coldly.

     ‘Yeah, my team didn’t want me to come back,’ he explained. ‘They’d prefer if I go to one country, write my entire book, then return. They don’t like me leaving half way through. But I just told them that I wasn’t missing my little girl’s graduation for anything.’