Chapter Eight

Guys I'm so sorry I'm uploading late again :( Please forgive me. I've been awful about writing and I haven't even finished the chapter after this yet, but I owe you and upload so I'm uploading anyways. I have half term week after this one, so I'm hoping to do plenty of writing then :D

Enjoy and comment! 

***************************************************************************************************************

     Michael drove on autopilot all the way to Debby’s house, and neither him nor Beth said a word until the car was parked on the street outside. For a few seconds after the engine fell dead they just stared out of the windshield, both lost in their own thoughts.

     ‘What are we doing?’ Beth asked, turning to face him.

     Michael let out a long sigh. ‘I have no clue.’ He looked around, trying to come up with a plan. ‘Well they’re going to stay in Haverfordwest, right?’

     Beth shrugged. ‘Not necessarily,’ she said. ‘Debby will probably want to come home before the party, to get changed or something.’

     ‘Well, should we go in then?’ he suggested. ‘I mean, I’m staying here, it’s not like there’s anything stopping me from entering.’

     ‘What if she comes back? Alfie would definitely be with her, he’s the one with the car,’ she pointed out.

     ‘Well then, there’s nothing he can do about it. I’ll just have try my hardest to get in their way,’ he decided. ‘Let’s go.’

     They climbed out of the car and made their way to the front door, where Debby’s mum let them in. She greeted them with a smile, not surprised to see Michael and Beth turn up on her doorstep without her daughter.

     ‘Hey Mrs. Martin, good day?’ Michael asked her.

     ‘Please Michael, you’re staying in my home, call me Allison,’ she told him.

     ‘Fine then, Allison,’ he chuckled. She hadn’t been around much the last time he’d been staying at Debby’s house, so they had never got onto first name basis, but apparently now, after having spent a week in her house, he was allowed to call her Allison. He really didn’t understand her sometimes.

     ‘How was Debby’s exam then?’ she asked, following behind them towards the living room.

     ‘I think it was okay,’ Beth told her, plopping onto the sofa and turning on the TV, completely at home. ‘She was only really thinking about the fact that she’s finished school forever.’

     ‘Where is she now then?’

     Michael cleared his throat, not sure how much to say. ‘Uh, she decided to stay in Haverfordwest with Alfie. I’m not really sure if she’s coming back here or not… it was a last minute decision.’

     Allison nodded slowly, as if she understood more than he was telling her, and he would have bet anything that she had got the general gist of things. She moved out of the sitting room, leaving Michael and Beth alone.

     Michael stared at the screen, not even registering what they were watching. He felt like he was doing that a lot lately- staring into space, waiting for something to happen.

     ‘Sorry about not telling you about Blake,’ Beth said out of the blue.

     Michael had to shake himself out of his reverie before he managed to produce any words. ‘Hm, what?’