Chapter Five

This one's dedicated to shattered_sky because she left lovely comments and even introduced me to the song on the side, which is Hang You Up by Yellowcard, and it is basically this story, BUT IN A SONG. I'd never even heard it before today, but now I love it lots and lots :)

Enjoy and comment ;D

************************************************************************************************************

     Michael did the drive back to Dee’s recklessly. He parked askew outside the house and ran to the door. He didn’t stop to knock this time, instead went back to his ancient habit of entering as he pleased. He catapulted himself up the stairs and into the guest room, grabbed his bag with his few belongings, then ran out again.

     When he reached the bottom of the staircase Dee was waiting there for him, arms crossed over her chest and one eyebrow raised in amusement. ‘Leaving so soon?’ she asked.

     ‘I’m sorry Dee,’ Michael told her, stopping in front of the door, though he was itching to leave. ‘I’ve got to go back to Warwick, coming here was a huge mistake. Mrs Martin insisted I go stay over there, but I really can’t, I have to leave.’

     Dee took a few seconds to respond. ‘It’s a pity that you won’t get to see Beth,’ she commented drily.

     ‘I know, but I really do have to go,’ he repeated. ‘Thank you for everything, your generosity is too much.’

     Michael desperately wanted to get out of there, so he turned and opened the door before she could protest then ran the short distance to his car. He had his keys out of his pocket before he stopped, and having left the door unlocked in his hurry to get into the house, ripped it open, sat down and threw his bag on the passenger seat all in one swift movement.

     He skidded onto the road away from St. David’s, the gas pedal to the floor, not caring about the speed limit. He just had to get away from there. Away from all the painful memories and away from the difficult situation. His heart rate didn’t slow down until he was halfway to Haverfordwest and his phone started ringing.

     He lightened his foot a bit to slow the car and slid his mobile out of his pocket. Jordan. He hit ignore and flung the phone on the seat next to him with his bag. A minute later it started ringing again. He sighed heavily and pulled his car up on the side of the road.

     ‘Yep?’ he said into his phone.

     ‘Michael?’ came Jordan’s voice. ‘Where the hell are you? You’ve been missing since yesterday, last night I thought you were just out, but when you didn’t come home today I got worried.’

     ‘Oh, shit, I completely forgot to tell you, I’m sorry mate,’ Michael said.

     ‘That doesn’t answer my question,’ Jordan moaned. ‘Where the hell are you?

     ‘I’m in St. David’s… well I was.’

     ‘St. David’s? Is that the place that girl lived?’ Jordan asked.

     Michael hesitated. ‘Yeah, it is. I kind of came to see her.’

     ‘Good on you!’ Jordan congratulated him.

     ‘Not good on me. She has a boyfriend. And I knew that, but I came anyway. I’m heading back now,’ Michael explained.

     ‘She has a boyfriend?’ Jordan repeated. ‘What’s he like?’

     ‘Urgh,’ Michael let out a grunt. ‘He’s horrible. Vile. I can’t believe she lets him touch her. Her family hates him, but she can’t see it.’