Swimming Lesson

~Echo’s POV~

                “What are we doing here?” I asked curiously as I found myself staring in awe at the fancy resort before me. It was beautiful, like a majestic palace of marble gold and sea glass.

                “Considering how things went last time, I thought it better for you to try in a pool.” Shanks smiled softly as he draped his arm across my shoulders and whisked me away.

                A faint blush claimed my pallid cheeks as I trudged along beside him. He led me to a beautiful sparkling pool with various man made grottos and small waterfalls. It was oddly empty, I couldn’t hear any children playing or any parent’s yelling after them. There weren’t kids running back and forth or any lifeguards to be seen. How was it possible the resort would be entirely empty?

                We rounded a corner on our way to the pool and I spotted a rather large bar filled to the brim with Red Hair Pirates. Their raucous laughter and shouts were probably scaring away any other patrons nearby.

                “Eh? What are they doing here?” I blushed as I realized the entire crew was going to witness me making a fool of myself.

                “We’re here for moral support.” Yassop snickered as he downed a large tankard of alcohol in one giant swig.

                “You can do it, Echo-chan!” Travis and company cheered as they took up seats at the pool’s edge.

                My face burned hot, I was ready to die of embarrassment. Shanks laughed upon noticing how bashful I was being and steered me toward the steps leading to the crystal clear pool. He effortlessly removed his cape and shrugged out of his simple white shirt before stepping onto the first step. I hesitated now feeling hyperaware of how revealing my simple black bikini actually was. Hesitantly I shimmied out of the oversized black long sleeve shirt that fell to about mid thigh and cringed as I heard a few sympathetic hisses as the scars on my back were revealed.

                The sudden urge to flee took hold and I took a hesitant step away from the poolside. This was a bad idea. My heart started to race beating sporadically in my chest as every fiber in my being told me to run.

                “Echo?” Shanks’ hand reached out and caught me lightly by the wrist halting me from running. His dark garnet eyes were filled with worry, “It’s alright.” He gently tugged on my wrist causing me to topple forward with a squeak.

                I snapped my eyes tightly shut as I fell towards the water’s surface and gasped as Shanks miraculously managed to catch me with one arm and cradle me against his perfectly molded chest with ease. He held me away from the water smiling as I clung to him like a terrified child.

                “She’s like a spider monkey.” Yassop laughed.

                Shanks ignored his crewmate and looked down at me affectionately, “You’re safe with me.”

                My heart skipped a beat in my chest as I realized just how close in proximity we were. Our faces were almost touching and my body was practically molded to his as I was clinging to him so tightly, though he didn’t seem to mind in the least.

                Shanks waded into the crystal clear pool still managing to balance me against him so I was completely out of the water. He stopped as the water reached his waist and held back a laugh as I attempted to ease myself into the water only to squeal and scramble back to safety atop his back.

                “It’s cold!” I whined causing the crew to laugh.

                “Just dunk her in, Boss!” Yassop called from the bar.

                “EEP! No!” I panicked.

                “Echo-chan! We’ll save you!” Travis and company dove into the water causing me to squeal as tiny waves splashed up against Shanks getting closer to me.

                “Oy! You morons are just making it worse!” Yassop barked.

                “Trust me?” Shanks breathed in my ear causing my heart to skip a beat and a strange warm sensation to spread from my core.

                I nodded feebly unable to form coherent speech.

                “Close your eyes, hold your breath, and hang on tight.” He chuckled.

                I did as he bid and felt my heart race as I pressed my chest against his back and tightened my grip around him. We were so close I could feel his heart beating through his back. Shanks dove into the water and with a few powerful kicks propelled us to the other side of the pool into one of the secluded grottos.

                We surfaced a few moments later and I found myself gasping for breath, though I wasn’t sure if it was from the brief lack of oxygen or our close proximity. Hesitantly I separated from him as I realized the water only reached the middle of my chest.

                Our swim lesson suddenly took a private and more intimate turn and for some reason I felt anxious and giddy. Shanks lightly splayed his hand across my back and I held back a gasp as my skin beneath his touch began to feel warm and tingly.

                “Lay on your back, I got you.” He reassured me upon noticing my hesitation.

                I once again did as I was bid and found myself smiling at the sudden feeling of weightlessness as I floated across the water’s surface with his strong hand guiding me. After I got a feel for the water he easily maneuvered me so I was floating on my stomach chuckling at my sudden squeal and instructed me on how to kick and paddle.

                Before long I was able to support myself and not much longer after I was able to cut through the water like a pro. I liked the feel of the water on my skin and the way the water folded around me as I dove beneath the surface.

                “Let’s go show the others.” I giggled as I surfaced near where Shanks was lounging in the grotto watching me swim with a smile on his face.

                “In a minute.” He reached out and tenderly cupped my face.

                “Shanks?” My voice came out somewhat breathless as I leaned into his touch.

                “Oy! What’s taking you two so long?!” Someone called from the poolside.

                “We should go.” I smiled and threw my arms around him, “Thanks, Captai-.” I cut off with a gasp as his arm tightly wound around my waist and his lips were suddenly upon mine.

                My arms tightened around his neck as I suddenly felt weak at the knees and unable to support myself. A soft sigh of contentment escaped me as I melted into his passionate kiss. It was in that moment I wished time would freeze forever, because deep down I knew things were going to take a drastic turn for the worse.